SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
bk63
Advanced Member
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Default More creaking front end noises.

I know there are a lot of front end noises on this thread but I haven't been here in a long time and am not on the compter much these days so I thought I would throw it out there quick. 04 Vue, I get these creeking noises when I turn the wheel left or right, just started, 55k. Bottom line is what's it gonna cost me. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: More creaking front end noises.

Most likely strut upper bearings. No repair required until the struts are replaced, then figure on replacing the mounts/bearings. Aftermarket ones cost from $40 to $80 each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
bk63
Advanced Member

Is there a way to quiet this for a while? A little silicone spray or something?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
bk63
Advanced Member

Anybody? I have to do a brake job tomorrow and will have the wheels off anyway. In the past week the creeking has really gotten annoying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
eric5150
eric5150 is on a distinguished road

I guess you could grease the crap out of it, but that would involve taking off the strut anyway. I would bite the bullet and replace what needs to be replaced. If the issue is in fact a strut bearing or mount. The strut bearing/mount issue also makes noise on bumps.

Keep in mind that some people who experience creaking, only when turning the wheel, have a noisy steering boot where the shaft goes through the firewall. The boot just needs to be lubricated with a rubber/plastic friendly lube.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric5150's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric5150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
eric5150

I've come to understand that most Vue owner's carry a tube of dielectric grease in their pocket. Everything in the Vue creaks at some point. The dielectric grease is excellent for creaky door seals among other things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eric5150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Before I did anything else I would remove one of the sway bar links and see if the noise goes away. I had a clunking that I was attributing to the strut bearing but when the SB link got creaky and I removed it the clunk went away also. This is an easy and relatively quick check to do. I can remove mine by just turning the whee to the opposite lock of the side I need to work on. Plus if the clunk comes bac once the new end is on I'll know its the SB mounts.

Dave

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
MikeR1
MikeR1 is on a distinguished road

I had a 2004 VUE with the same problems. The front bushings and sway bar links was the problem. The grease in those bushings dries out. And there is no way to re-grease them. What I did, suggested from another post, was pierce the boot with a small pin. Then stick the small red tub that usually comes with spray cans or CRC cans. Do not use WD40 or liquid wrench. They just remove the grease. Fix the problem. Depending on your driving you will need to do this a couple times a year or just get the bushing replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeR1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeR1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR1 View Post
I had a 2004 VUE with the same problems. The front bushings and sway bar links was the problem. The grease in those bushings dries out. And there is no way to re-grease them. What I did, suggested from another post, was pierce the boot with a small pin. Then stick the small red tub that usually comes with spray cans or CRC cans. Do not use WD40 or liquid wrench. They just remove the grease. Fix the problem. Depending on your driving you will need to do this a couple times a year or just get the bushing replaced.
Nice idea! Possibly spray lithium grease. I seen the cans with small tube also...

Home Depot and boat supply places sell it.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I did my links this way... lasted about a month. If anyone finds a lubricant that will last longer please post it.

Dave

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
bk63
Advanced Member

I did the spray lithium white grease in the spray can on the upper struts from under the hood into those little holes. Gotta spray the crap out of it in there, and the creeking noise is gone. Struts are fine other than this noise. This will be my creeking fix until the struts go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I think the spray lithium grease works best since you can get it all over the place in there...did mine 6 months ago, nice & quiet now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
eric5150

Update on my creaking issue.

Put aftermarket sway bar end links in. Quiet and driving like new for about a week. Noise started up that I thought must be the strut bearings. I brought the car to a dealer and dicovered that the aftermarket links are not exactly correct. The only difference I could see was the aftermarket ones were steel, OEM were aluminum and slightly shorter. They put in OEM end links. The noise is gone.

The OEM links are cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
bk63
Advanced Member

New Struts plus labor....hundreds of dollars.
Can of white lithium spray grease....1.49.
Driving down the road with no noise.......Priceless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5150 View Post
I've come to understand that most Vue owner's carry a tube of dielectric grease in their pocket. Everything in the Vue creaks at some point. The dielectric grease is excellent for creaky door seals among other things.
That and a can of white lithium grease and you're good to go....quietly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
revue
Advanced Member
revue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5150 View Post
Update on my creaking issue.

Put aftermarket sway bar end links in. Quiet and driving like new for about a week. Noise started up that I thought must be the strut bearings. I brought the car to a dealer and dicovered that the aftermarket links are not exactly correct. The only difference I could see was the aftermarket ones were steel, OEM were aluminum and slightly shorter. They put in OEM end links. The noise is gone.

The OEM links are cheaper.
What brand of aftermarket links are no good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to revue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help revue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
revue is offline   Reply With Quote