SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Pioneer_Saturn
Advanced Member
Pioneer_Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Type of tranny fluid for 97 SL2

Hey guys,

Also, what type of transmission fluid does my 97 SL2 take?

Thanks in advance

First and only dual-alternator Saturn

"Louder than your Saturn on music or your money back!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pioneer_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pioneer_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pioneer_Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
banditkaine
banditkaine is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Type of tranny fluid for 97 SL2

Saturn Transaxle Fluid (P/N 21005966) is recommended. If not available, DEXRONŽIIE or DEXRONŽIII transmission/transaxle fluid is also acceptable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banditkaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banditkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

When coming to this forum Mobil 1 transmission fluid was highly recommended. Has worked out well for me.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

I came here with reverse slam, a condition that happens when the auto transmission valve body gums up. Seems like the Mobil 1 has kept it from returning in over 50,000 miles.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

How often should the fluid be changed on the 2000 sl1 tranny? do you need to change the filter that is on it? I just bought this car and noticed it has a filter that look like and engine oil filter. In another thread someone said never flush the tranny, why?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05vueblue View Post
How often should the fluid be changed on the 2000 sl1 tranny? do you need to change the filter that is on it? I just bought this car and noticed it has a filter that look like and engine oil filter. In another thread someone said never flush the tranny, why?
Automatics are recommended to have the fluid and filter changed every 30k. Some also suggest closer intervals such as every 10k or every 3rd or 4th oil change. The filter is a scew on filter however to NOT mix the ATF filter and the oil filter up

Flushing the tranny is NOT recommended as any particles sitting at the bottom can get stirred up and stuck in various parts of the transmission.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Automatics are recommended to have the fluid and filter changed every 30k. Some also suggest closer intervals such as every 10k or every 3rd or 4th oil change. The filter is a scew on filter however to NOT mix the ATF filter and the oil filter up

Flushing the tranny is NOT recommended as any particles sitting at the bottom can get stirred up and stuck in various parts of the transmission.
I always use OEM transmission filters. Some aftermarket ones leak or are not as good (so I have been told). Your owners manual should have a nice write up on changing the fluid. I would just stick with a service interval of 30,000 miles or less. I think later models may say 100,000 service interval. Problem with this transmission is reverse slam which can be caused be extending the service interval. The input shaft nut can come loose and for those who spin tires the diff pin flys through the transmission making a gapping hole. Not a pretty site. You now have all my knowledge of the the S-Series Auto trans.

I used this How-To when changing my transmission fluid. Wolfman was a Saturn Trained Tech. I find many of his posts or write ups very helpful.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65426

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote