SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
jackl
jackl is on a distinguished road

Default How do you remove Brake Drum?

It's been awhile since I've dealt with removing a rear brake drum. I may be wrong,... but isn't there a hole on the back side that you stick a screwdriver to relieve the tension, so you can take the drum off?

Or do I just need a puller? I just can't remember how to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: How do you remove Brake Drum?

There's no hole on a Saturn but, it's usually not the shoes that are holding the drum on anyway. The drum gets rusted to the axle in the center. You can usually bust it loose by beating around the out edge with a hammer.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

leave the parking bake down... (not engaged). the drum should come straight off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

If it doesnt, thread a bolt into the hole of the drum and slowly tighten it with a rachet. It will come loose, but may just bust out all at once. I did this on my friend's pathfinder. I find that beating it off is a last resort.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

The place where the drum sticks is...

A) the drum sticks to the hub (like BarnOwl said) or

B) the drum gets a rust ridge inbetween where the shoe rides and the end of the drum.

If senerio "A" then hit the drum inbetween the studs with a hammer until the drum pops off of the hub

If senerio "B" then do the same thing as "A" then get two screwdrivers or prybars,put then inbetween the drum and backing plate,pry until the drum comes off.

Want more gun control? Then use both hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkuz13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkuz13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

prying between the drum and backing plate will accomplish nothing but bending the backing plate.

I've found a chisel very helpful in hammering the outer edge and getting a good grip on the lip. When you have it apart you'll realize that outer lip is not very important.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

definitely do not pry against the backing plate. that just bends it. you can tap on the drum with a mallet to pop it loose from the hub that's holding it in place with rust.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Here's my last resort. I've only done it once in 35 years as a DIY.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Apparently you're not a 'gorilla' mechanic! Now before you get any ideas I had the same drum removal problems you have and countless others will in the future with this stuck brake drum symptom. Beating on it with whatever you can dream up won't work unless you have a brother-in-law in the auto body repair business. After giving up trying I went to him and he did this; took a long 2 x 4 or appropriate piece and placed it on the lip of the brake drum from under the car to force the drum away from the wheel hub, beat on the other end of the 2x 4 with the largest hammer he had (you know body shops have many tools) rotating the drum between beatings and voila! The drum eventually came off, star adjuster backed off or not! Sometimes its good to use gorilla strength as he demonstrated that forcing the drum off from the backside against the lip with large beatings from a heavy hammer will drop the drum in no time. I was astounded and impressed. Will never forget this example and the brake drum never suffered from the beating. When you think it over you'll see the simplicity of this maneuver, hammering the drum against the thin lip to force the drum away from the wheel hub. True gorilla mechanics w/o a drum puller needed!

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Your Pictures

> Barn Owl <
Your pictures, on your site, are very impressive --

exceptional for a 'learning tool'.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote