SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
eXtremeJobber
eXtremeJobber is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Rim Question

Hi guys,

I am looking into purchasing my first set of rims. I am looking at 17" Type SR chrome American Racing Wheels, would I have to buy new tires to fit? I am not wanting any gap or anything, but I really would like to keep the current tires since they are brand new. Please help a rookie out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eXtremeJobber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eXtremeJobber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Rim Question

Yes, you would definately have to buy new tires, there's no way you could fit 195/60-15s onto a 17" wheel.
You could simply keep the OEM tires stashed away somewhere to be used as winter tires, then you get a set of pure 3-season tires for spring through fall. Though from the reports people are giving about the Affinities in winter that's probably not the wisest thing to do.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Rim Question

One recommendation that I will make, weight is very important when looking at wheels. I was talking with my friend Chris today about that topic of how much of an effect would getting a heavier wheel have on gas mileage. His response, there's kids on the scion board he posts with 18-20 inch wheels claiming to only get in the low 20s for gas mileage. I didn't think that it would have that much effect, but when you think about it, it any change is pretty significant.
A 2.2L Ecotec crate engine only weighs 291 pounds, and it produces less than 150lb lb-ft of torque, so if you increase the driveline weight by 10-20lbs you are having a having a fairly significant increase in the inertia that that engine has to fight against to get that vehicle moving, and you also have the same effect on the brakes when it tries to stop the vehicle.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread