SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
HumphreyMurdoch
HumphreyMurdoch is on a distinguished road

Default Newb intro & question

Hello all.

Newbie here from St. Louis with an 01 SC1 w/ 160K on it, well its the wife's car really but I'm the one to work on it.

The car is getting poor fuel mileage now, about 30 MPG at best, was getting upwards of 40. So I check and it needed a tune up. Did plugs, wires, A/F and a BG induction service as well. Mileage is still poor, but I noticed she also had a SES light on and she can't remember if the crappy mileage and light started about the same time.

I scanned it and it was a PO-410, secondary air yadda yadda. I've read the ECTS is the common cause so I'll do that in tomm or the day after and see how that goes.

Is there any link to the mileage and that??? EGR clogging?

Any input or guidence would be great.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumphreyMurdoch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumphreyMurdoch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumphreyMurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Newb intro & question

Go to the how-to library and look up how to replace your ECTS. Then look at the sticky for Richpins Videos. Find the video the P0410 code. I actually had that code on the '02. Ended up being carbon buildup in the pipe.

Yes the ECTS can cause bad gas mileage. It is used by the PCM for air/fuel ratios among other subsystems. Most cases it cracks and the PCM runs the engine rich.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyMurdoch View Post
Hello all.

Newbie here from St. Louis with an 01 SC1 w/ 160K on it, well its the wife's car really but I'm the one to work on it.

The car is getting poor fuel mileage now, about 30 MPG at best, was getting upwards of 40. So I check and it needed a tune up. Did plugs, wires, A/F and a BG induction service as well. Mileage is still poor, but I noticed she also had a SES light on and she can't remember if the crappy mileage and light started about the same time.

I scanned it and it was a PO-410, secondary air yadda yadda. I've read the ECTS is the common cause so I'll do that in tomm or the day after and see how that goes.

Is there any link to the mileage and that??? EGR clogging?

Any input or guidence would be great.

Thanks
Good idea to change the ECTS and also the wire connector--check the how to library to get step by step instructions.

I hope you put copper NGK plugs not platimun plugs. Plat plugs are not recommended on s series saturns.

Clean the coil tower tips on the coil packs lightly/gently with sandpaper or steel wool pad. You want to remove any cororsion off the tips and on the coilpack bolts and under the coilpack as well. These areas can cause misfire
if not kept clean. I put a little dialectic grease on the coil tower tips as well.

A dirty egr can cause hesitation on speeds under 40 mph. The how to library
has a post on cleaning the egr as well.

I would replace the ECTS and connector first. Make sure you buy the brass tipped sensor. Your car might have the old style plastic tipped sensor which always cracks, leaks coolant on the connector wires and ruins them.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Red mentioned most of what he should of, pull the ignition module while you have the coils off and clean any corrosion off the back of it & it's mounting surface on the transaxle. Before reinstalling it, make sure to apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to the mounting surface, pin holes of the coils & your spark plugs boots to avoid a future DTC. As mentioned these cars like old style copper plugs and nothing else.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
HumphreyMurdoch
HumphreyMurdoch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input.

I'll get the Brass tip ECTS, connector and look up the other info.

I'll post any further progress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumphreyMurdoch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumphreyMurdoch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumphreyMurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote