SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 03:11 AM   #1
TXVue04
Advanced Member
TXVue04 is on a distinguished road

Default 04 VUE hand brake

Has anyone noticed that the hand brake in the VUE is crappy? I was parked on a slight incline and used the handbrake. I always check and make sure it is all the way up and it was. I was finishing up a box to go mail at Fedex, my elbow tapped the handbrake, and it slipped!!! The car slid back, not a lot but a little. But I couldn't help but think, what if I had been San Francisco or something.. geez..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
nortsr
nortsr is on a distinguished road

Did you have your foot on the brake pedal when you set the handbrake?....then applying the handbrake (as per manual)? After doing this and then releasing foot from brake padal, the only movement should be very slight and then it is set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nortsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nortsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #3
TXVue04
Advanced Member

Yes, definitely did, I'm pretty paranoid about hand braking. I have also noticed that when I pull up on it, don't feel the tightness that my old SC2 had. In the SC2 I sometimes had to use both hands to pull it up to the top position, on this one a 3 year old could do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TXVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

My hand brake is pretty tight. I have parked on a pretty steep hill with it on, and it didn't budge. I have to yank pretty hard to get it all the way up, and it goes almost vertical. The first 1/2 of the pull is easy, after that it gets *much* harder.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Mine have always been solid on any Saturn I have owned. Perhaps yours needs adjustment. It seems that mine will hold a house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 05:46 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

You really shouldn't be pulling it up all of the way....
Saturn specs are 13 to 15 clicks or something like that.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
CaliVW78
CaliVW78 is on a distinguished road

We use ours everytime. Park, Apply hand brake, then release brake pedal. Ours is tight and has never slipped or release easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaliVW78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaliVW78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I also use mine all the time-- never had any problems. It always holds fine, and I don't pull the crap out of the lever. I've used it to hold the vue and a trailer w/sailboat on an incline, again no problem.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
Ken Baker
Ken Baker is on a distinguished road

I use mine all the time and the handle doesn't come anywhere near vertical. I applied the break this morning on a slope. I pulled it up until it would go no further using only light force. I assume I could have gone another notch if I had tried. The vehicle did not roll back even after I had let off about three notches of pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Baker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
HfxVue
HfxVue is on a distinguished road

I attempted to drive off some time back while the hand brake was on (I don't use it that often, so didn't remember that I'd set it), and got a warning chime. Not sure what set the warning off, whether it was being in gear with the brake on, or stressing the powertrain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HfxVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HfxVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:22 PM   #11
TXVue04
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
You really shouldn't be pulling it up all of the way....
Saturn specs are 13 to 15 clicks or something like that.
~D.J.~
Ok this statement is making me think I need to take her in for a hand brake inspection. My SC2 made Clicks when I pulled it into position, and Ohio is correct, it was usually 15 clicks for the best position. My Redline make no clicks at all. Could someone with a 2004 VUE let me know if their brakes make clicks as they pull it up.. if so I'm taking it in. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2004, 06:34 AM   #12
Ken Baker

Mine is an 04, 4 cyl and the hand break clicks as you pull it up. It will not click if you depress the release button and pull though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #13
TXVue04
Advanced Member

ok, I do press the release button and pull

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
jaiello2000
jaiello2000 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

My '04 hand/parking brake works perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaiello2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaiello2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #15
TXVue04
Advanced Member

Jaiello2000, do you hear clicks? Do you push the button and pull or just pull?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #16
Ken Baker

Just pull the lever up. Don't touch the release button. Use the release button only to release the parking break. By the way my handle is at a 45 degree angle when break is applied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
jaiello2000
jaiello2000 is on a distinguished road

I do not push the button. Just pull the lever. It travels 1/3 of the way silently. I can only go 8 or 9 clicks. The parking brake is solid at that point. I cannot back up at all with it on.

I had a few problems with the hand brake on my 2000 LW2. I took it in for adjustment a couple times. The dealer did not like stuff coming back twice with me. They did some magic and I never had a problem again.

BTW. Complain to Saturn Corp. if the dealer is not solving a problem. I had to do that once, but it was remarkable the service after that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaiello2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaiello2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 AM   #18
TXVue04
Advanced Member

Thanks for all of your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #19
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

That chime is on a sensor on the e-brake. While driving if I pull it up a little it chimes right away.

Quote:
Originally posted by HfxVue
I attempted to drive off some time back while the hand brake was on (I don't use it that often, so didn't remember that I'd set it), and got a warning chime. Not sure what set the warning off, whether it was being in gear with the brake on, or stressing the powertrain.

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #20
bswarm
bswarm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
2003 ION-1 Sedan

If it takes any more than about 3 or 4 clicks, then the rear brakes may need to be adjusted tighter. Pulling it too hard is only going to put stress on the cables, shoes, etc.
Mine works fine and I have even used it as a cutting brake (Not recommended for most drivers) in the dirt a few times.

Retired wrench bender

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bswarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bswarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread