SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Chickbutcher
Chickbutcher is on a distinguished road

Default Low beam blow outs with new LED lights L-300

Hello,

It's a 2004 L-300 4 cylinder. I just purchased Lumen LED lights from CARiD.com. About 5 seconds after installing them, the low beam blew out on the left side. They sent me a replacement. It didn't blow out right away, but the headlights turn on and off rapidly ten times every time I start the car. Then a month later the same left low beam blew out. They sent me another light. Now I turn the lights on before starting the car, bypassing the auto switch. No blinky after that, it's been a month. But eventually if I take it in for work or it needs to be inspected, they will use the switch in the auto position possibly blowing out another light.

Thoughts on what it could be or how to rectify?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chickbutcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chickbutcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chickbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Low beam blow outs with new LED lights L-300

Sounds like your new led lights donít like half voltage they get when the daytime running lights come on. Try starting the car with the parking brake pulled up, this turns off the dlr circuit. There are people here running aftermarket light with success so be patient. Maybe you can pull a relay to save your bulbs until help arrives. I only have 2002 factory manuals and the early cars use the high beams for dlr and 2003 and later use the low beams.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

02 LW300 you may be on to something.
Chickbutcher , I have the DRL disabled on mine. I pulled the under-hood relay and jumped 2 pins in the relay socket. I'm old school and always drive with my parking lights on during the day. And sometimes lowbeams, at full power.

Plus the lowbeams on the outside of the light assy illuminate when you turn them on manually. I like that look better anyway.

Auto DRL's on mine were doing 6volts on the inner high beams. Looks stupid to me.

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Sounds like your new led lights donít like half voltage they get when the daytime running lights come on. Try starting the car with the parking brake pulled up, this turns off the dlr circuit. There are people here running aftermarket light with success so be patient. Maybe you can pull a relay to save your bulbs until help arrives. I only have 2002 factory manuals and the early cars use the high beams for dlr and 2003 and later use the low beams.
You're partially correct. My '03 uses a large ceramic resistor to reduce current to low beam lights used drl mode. Halogen lamps can have reduced voltage and current and still seem to have bright lights as they illuminate without dimming. The bcm uses a light sensor on the dashboard to detect when to turn on DRLs, switch to full power headlights and lighting in tunnels or night driving. When switching automatically from drl mode to tunnel or night driving, the resistor is bypassed with no discernible difference between reduced power or full power headlights. The bcm monitors either voltage or current to each low beam light and flashes the drl indicator if one headlight fails. With led headlights, I'm not sure if these leds use a ballast or driver to power the lights. This may not be recognized by the bcm attempting to power them thru the drl resistor. In theory. Led headlights should be able to run when the battery runs down or alternator fails. As battery voltage drops below a certain voltage, electronics panic, spazzes then drops out with unusual symptoms. Each electronics module have their own peculiar or straight symptom when less than battery voltage occurs. Led headlights may have peculiar symptoms too if less than battery voltage is supplied as in the drl resistor used in drl mode. The resistor, as far as I know, just reduces current to both low beam lights. This is GMs method to prolong halogen lamp life instead of using full power in drl mode. If the led headlights don't like this reduced power setup, temporarily bypassing the resistor may work, or not, by jumpering the two terminals together on the resistor connector or simply removing the drl relay to disable drl mode.
Bypassing the drl means running the led headlights at full power in drl mode. This shouldn't affect lifetime use since no one guarantees how long aftermarket led headlights last, no different from factory lamps.

I switched to hid lamps, use the existing wiring as is and without any other added mods to have (full power) hid lights in drl mode and night time lighting. My low beams are used for drl mode with a resistor to reduce power for drl mode. This doesn't seem interfere with each hid ballast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You're partially correct. My '03 uses a large ceramic resistor to reduce current to low beam lights used drl mode. Halogen lamps can have reduced voltage and current and still seem to have bright lights as they illuminate without dimming. The bcm uses a light sensor on the dashboard to detect when to turn on DRLs, switch to full power headlights and lighting in tunnels or night driving. When switching automatically from drl mode to tunnel or night driving, the resistor is bypassed with no discernible difference between reduced power or full power headlights. The bcm monitors either voltage or current to each low beam light and flashes the drl indicator if one headlight fails. With led headlights, I'm not sure if these leds use a ballast or driver to power the lights. This may not be recognized by the bcm attempting to power them thru the drl resistor. In theory. Led headlights should be able to run when the battery runs down or alternator fails. As battery voltage drops below a certain voltage, electronics panic, spazzes then drops out with unusual symptoms. Each electronics module have their own peculiar or straight symptom when less than battery voltage occurs. Led headlights may have peculiar symptoms too if less than battery voltage is supplied as in the drl resistor used in drl mode. The resistor, as far as I know, just reduces current to both low beam lights. This is GMs method to prolong halogen lamp life instead of using full power in drl mode. If the led headlights don't like this reduced power setup, temporarily bypassing the resistor may work, or not, by jumpering the two terminals together on the resistor connector or simply removing the drl relay to disable drl mode.
Bypassing the drl means running the led headlights at full power in drl mode. This shouldn't affect lifetime use since no one guarantees how long aftermarket led headlights last, no different from factory lamps.

I switched to hid lamps, use the existing wiring as is and without any other added mods to have (full power) hid lights in drl mode and night time lighting. My low beams are used for drl mode with a resistor to reduce power for drl mode. This doesn't seem interfere with each hid ballast.
So which package did you use? And where did you buy them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote