SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
reemoe
reemoe is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Default Engine / Transmission Mounts

'95 SC1 - as of a year ago, no longer my daily driver. I'm handing it down to my 15-year-old daughter, just learning to drive.

I replaced the Upper Engine Mount about four years ago (with an OEM mount), due to vibration. It really eliminated the vibration.

I haven't driven it much in the past year. However, I was taking it in for its state inspection today, and some vibration was back. It is likely time to replace one or more of the other three mounts.

Would it make any sense to only replace the Lower Transmission Mount at this time? OEM looks to be only about $38. Whereas, the two other mounts (dog bone mounts) are a sky- high $156 each! The aftermarket dog bones are only about $10, but it appears they are all junk that don't last long.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reemoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reemoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
SlayZombi
SlayZombi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL
Default Re: Engine / Transmission Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemoe View Post
'95 SC1 - as of a year ago, no longer my daily driver. I'm handing it down to my 15-year-old daughter, just learning to drive.

I replaced the Upper Engine Mount about four years ago (with an OEM mount), due to vibration. It really eliminated the vibration.

I haven't driven it much in the past year. However, I was taking it in for its state inspection today, and some vibration was back. It is likely time to replace one or more of the other three mounts.

Would it make any sense to only replace the Lower Transmission Mount at this time? OEM looks to be only about $38. Whereas, the two other mounts (dog bone mounts) are a sky- high $156 each! The aftermarket dog bones are only about $10, but it appears they are all junk that don't last long.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
I've used SKP and those mounts seem to be solid. Also heard Westar is pretty god. If you elimination was pretty much eliminated and then 1 year later is was back then I suppose that the OEM ones didn't last very long either right? Just get the aftermarket ones. It's rubber made for catching vibrations. Either way, it wont be THAT much of a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

If you're really concerned about the cost but want OEM you can try getting some OEM ones from the auto wreckers. The upper trans mount under the battery from a 2002 S Series (GEN3) would be what you're looking for. Life in the upper position is less harsh and as a result they last longer. The GEN3 mount also can accommodate replacing just the bushings with prothane bushings. The earlier design in your 95 is not compatible with the prothane replacements.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Trottida,
Can you recommend where to just get the inserts for the bushings? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitetruck View Post
Trottida,
Can you recommend where to just get the inserts for the bushings? Thanks!
Part # is Prothane 7-510-BL for the black. You can order directly from Prothane, but there are multiple sources (Amazon, Ebay, etc.). Just do a search and determine what's best fro you with price + shipping and time to delivery.

Even with compatible "dogbones" though, getting the old ovals out is a HUGE pain. I start back at mine with a Dremel tomorrow.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

They come out pretty easy with a 6" bench vice, even if it's a cheap one. Most bushings do, I'm really missing having a table to even set mine on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
They come out pretty easy with a 6" bench vice, even if it's a cheap one. Most bushings do, I'm really missing having a table to even set mine on.
The small end came out ok, but the oval is either fused from rust or is such a tight pressure fit it may as well be welded. NUC mentioned a cold chisel, but I'm having a hard time even finding a seam to chisel out without destroying the frame of the strut. I don't think just removing the rubber material is enough clearance for the new one to push in.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Are you sure you've got a replaceable style dog bone? Doesn't matter what gen/model it came out of...anything could have been put in. The small end comes out on both factory styles.

The shell for the old bushing has to come out, there's almost not enough room with it out for the prothane bushings to be put in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad s-series mount.jpg (62.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg good s-series dog-bone.JPG (66.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg best s-series dog-bone.jpg (61.6 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Are you sure you've got a replaceable style dog bone? Doesn't matter what gen/model it came out of...anything could have been put in. The small end comes out on both factory styles.

The shell for the old bushing has to come out, there's almost not enough room with it out for the prothane bushings to be put in.
I do have the middle one. I'm assuming the rim of the bushing (highlighted some in red below) has to be pried out, that it won't just press. The bracket is pretty rusted and the only place i can find a decent seam is at the Y area circled in green. I went at it with a HD flathead and a hammer yesterday without much progress. I'm thinking of cutting all the rubber away with a utility knife and/or hole saw, then using a dremel to cut that rim at the Y and hopefully pull/pry inward.

Right now I'm working on the assumption that the entire metal oval (partial red highlight) needs to be removed. IS that wrong? Is that oval rim structural?

If successful I was going to clean up any loose rust and coat the whole bracket with fluid film to inhibit. I'd repaint, but I'm too afraid I'd leave some behind and trap underneath.

Sorry if this is a Hijack reemoe. Hopefully this will be useful for you too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good s-series dog-bone highlight.jpg (107.7 KB, 10 views)

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I think they only come out in one direction, not both.

Guide: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118587

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
I think they only come out in one direction, not both.

Guide: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118587
Thanks. I'd missed that tutorial. I'll try working on the flat seam some more before breaking out the dremel now that I know more what I'm working toward.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keblar View Post
Thanks. I'd missed that tutorial. I'll try working on the flat seam some more before breaking out the dremel now that I know more what I'm working toward.
Sooo, yeah, I was working on the wrong side.

Once I cleaned up some more rust, I could see that side was much softer metal and didn't have as much of a lip. The 4 tabs weren't exactly obvious with all the corrosion but I was able to use a small screwdriver and hammer to pry away the whole perimeter pretty easily, which was enough to pound it out the other side.

The bracket cleaned up pretty well.

Pressing the big bushing in was awkward, but I managed to use a floor jack to sandwich it in between 2 pieces of wood pressing against a flat part of the under frame (on ramps for better access).

Trans mount was a pain too since I have an automatic, but loosening the 2 top mount bracket bolts was the key for me.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 AM   #13
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Thanks Keblar and everyone who contributed to how to replace them!

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 While Fully Loaded with 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Keblar

2002 SL2

Not the OP, but I thought I'd give a follow up from my recent mount experience:

My replacement combo was OEM for the trans mount, prothane inserts for both dogbone / torque mounts, and Westar EM-2827 for the top. I'm pretty pleased so far.

Everything is much quieter with considerably reduced vibration. I'm not getting any excessive vibration transfer from the prothane inserts even though I do have some slight engine vibration (YMMV though). What I am getting is noticably smoother, and maybe even slightly quicker, shifts.

So far the Westar top mount is working out well too. I decided to go with the cheaper Westar mount instead of OEM even though some have reported rapid wear and low mileage failure from them. I'll try to do a long term follow up, but if it doesn't last, it will be the easiest to replace so I'm not terribly concerned right now.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!