SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Any help would be great

Hi all, well it has been a long time since I posted but today i am in need of some help. My 2008 Astra XR 5 speed manual with only 58100 kms on it is giving me problems. Not happy at all that at only 58000kms the car is popping out of 2nd and 3rd a lot and the release bearing is wining loudly. Car shifts great and clutch is strong but now like i say 2nd and 3rd pop out alot and im wondering , or hoping rather it may be a fix that isnt going to cost me 3000 plus.

I call my local dealer in in NB and after talking with the foreman he believes it is the blocks inside the transmission that holds each gear in place. I asked about low gear oil or linkage adjustment but he feels that linkage would cause hard shifting , witch it not doing and low oil should not cause the gears to be popping out like they are doing. If it was the cause then inside damage probably has already has happened due to low gear oil and that said damage is causing the popping out issue.

Has any one else had this issue and if so what was the "cure". Thanks in advanced.

edit.sorry for the double post. Browser is being a pain , please delete one post, thanks moderators.

Last edited by XRLad; 06-18-2019 at 02:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Any help would be great

Popping out of gear usually means synchros are worn or the fluid might be contaminated. Both are very unusual for such low miles. Are you the original owner since new? Worn synchros at such low mileage would normally be caused by inexperienced driver grinding the gears between shifts.

Shifter linkage should be fine at such low mileage, but I wouldn't think that could cause it to pop out of gear anyway.

The cheapest, quickest fix to try would be change the trans fluid. At 100k miles I swapped mine out for a Red Line MT-85. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to tell you...good luck.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the reply !

I bought the car new in March 2009. I have been the only driver since new. Im 47 and have been driving manual for awhile. I actually requested a manual when i bought the car. I agree that it does sound like bad shifting but i do know how to drive a stick. The more i think about it I don't think i have had an automatic in over 20 years. There hasn't been "newb" driving and that's the frustrating thing. I remember second gear being the fussy gear on the rare occasion over the years i had the car and i have been guilty of speed shifting on the rare occasion in fun or anger when it didn't want to go into second lol. Saying that though in all seriousness i have never really beat the car up shifting overall. The most aggression the car has seen is some slaloms and back road cornering hard.

I have never checked or changed the fluid since new and the car never gets driven a lot these days. Monday to Friday work commute and a weekend or 2 in town is all it sees. The 58000kms is what is bugging me as like you said it doesn't make sense. I am going to take it to a good transmission shop and have them look at it at this piont. I am hoping that a good fluid change with synthetic will make the difference.

I drove it today and when it popped in second i held it and it didnt push back with any force. If i rest my hand on it then it will stay. When it "popped' with my hand on it never came out of gear completely which i found weird. I m like you and think i will have them look at it, change the fluid and keep my fingers crossed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Yeah very weird. Have you lent it out to anyone who maybe didn't treat it so nicely? I've raced, auto-crossed, and abused my Astra and it still shifts like normal after more than double your mileage.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Have not let any else drive it but my good friend and he races and has a good driving skill set. I have always down shifted "braking" the car coming to fast stops or cornering after a stretch in slaloms but i cant see that causing one gear to start acting up. I honestly think I am just unlucky with the transmission because as i said i remember it being a bugger to get into 2nd on the rare occasion shortly after buying it. It was such a rare occurrence i never thought to get it fixed under warranty.. As well i haven't even looked at it yet in detail.I will know whats up once i get the shop to have a look at it. My luck and cars isn't known for greatness lol. I kid you not i have had some cars develop issues that 20 year veteran mechanics never seen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just an FYI, internal parts are going to take some time to source. I recently had to replace the bearings on my 2008 5 speed, took about a week to get what I needed from the UK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

I know that all to well. I had to source out front struts because they have been discontinued, as well i had my shop custom fab me a straight pipe because the front resonator section was leaking and GM no longer carries that either. I had to use Permaflex "The right Stuff" on my transmission pan today because the closest gasket was a week away. I love the car but all these issue with getting parts is an annoyance some days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Well that was a huge waste of time. Got the red line MT-85 75W-85 GL-4 Synthetic in the transmission drove it for day and now in crap luck fashion it is completely stuck in gear and i cant get it out. Shifter moves but it wont go into any gear but 5th. Messed around with the linkage and can see it wants to move but it appears is jammed in gear. Neutral position and the car is still in gear so im sure something has gone wrong internally. What a crazy situation, only 58000 and not driven hard and i need a new transmission or rebuild. What a joke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
shubhupatil
shubhupatil is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Any help would be great

Thanks for sharing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shubhupatil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shubhupatil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shubhupatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Just to be clear I don't want to make the car out to be a piece of junk. Many here have had great luck with the Astra and the reliability ratings are really good. This is nothing more then a case of terrible luck . I had to replace the entire setup in the end. Clutch disc was cracked but not scored or burned and here in Canada where i am from the only way to get a clutch was to order a complete kit .Then i had to replace the transmission with a low mileage used one. Total cost for everything was 3500 taxes in. The reason I am mad is the odds of a manual Astra transmission failure at that low km is very low but some how my luck managed to make it happen. As i said, terrible luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well, that's too bad, but at least you're back on the road. Seems unusual it would failed with such low mileage. City driving perhaps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

It is to bad but its still cheaper than a new car so there is a positive right . Well if I am grabbing at straws I had a habit of down shifting a lot with the car when stopping. That is going to change i guess as brakes are cheaper then transmissions .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!