SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
dacuda
dacuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Question Wiring Diagrams?

does anyone have any of the wiring diagrams for the ION's? I have an 05 ION2, but for what I am looking for on it, any of the years should suffice. I need some of the info about the dome light. I have the diagrams from my old 2000 SL, but I'm not sure if they'll be close enough to the ION. (at least for the dome light circuit) thanks for any input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dacuda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dacuda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
joecool234
joecool234 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Wiring Diagrams?

Oh hells no!!! You seem to be new to the boards here, and as such, have much to learn about the electronics in your Ion. Every single electrical component in our vehicles are somehow wired into the system computer. Many people have tried, but electrical mods usually result in pure havoc. The PCM simply hates being tampered with. I would post exactly what you want to do, and maybe someone could help you. As far as I now, service manuals are not yet available for the Ions. Good luck, and be patient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joecool234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joecool234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
dacuda

2005 ION-2 Sedan

well first off let me thank you for your demeaning answer. even though I may be new to the boards here that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. in fact the only reason I was asking was because I was too lazy to pull out the dome light to check things for myself. for your information, I'm not tampering with the PCM. I'm mearly using a connection from there. and if you know what you're doing, electrical mods won't end in any kind of havoc...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dacuda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
AlphaGeek
AlphaGeek is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Woah.. Easy there dacuda.. JoeCool was right and gave you good advice - Post exactly what you are hoping to do and maybe someone can help you.

Now to expand on what he said.......
Most cars have 3 lines to a dome light: hot (so you can turn it on manually, ground, and door switched.) In this car, the dome light (like practically everything else you will find) isn't a simple line to a door switch. Instead the light will dim and will stay on for a short time after you close the door.

To do this 'trick', the switched line is actually computer controlled. This was the one little area that Joe was slightly off on. It is the BCM, not the PCM that controls this. The BCM (body control module) controls MANY aspects of the lighting and other electronics in this car and thus makes even minor changes a little more challenging.

So if you tell us what you are trying to do, we 'might' be able to help. (BTW - if you play with the wrong wire there you can cause a lot more havok than you expect - and you COULD be touching a line that interfaces to the BCM)..
(PS - I have an electrical engineering degree if that helps you in case you wonder if I know what I'm doing).

Good luck, welcome to the boards and enjoy your new ION... I'm just shy of 1000 miles on my '04 and don't regret it a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlphaGeek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlphaGeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
dacuda

2005 ION-2 Sedan

let me apologize, in retrospect I realize I reacted a bit too harshly. at the same time though I still think that there was a more tactful way to say what he was trying to say. just because someone is new to a forum doesn't mean that they're new to everything that is related.

as far as what I'm doing. I'm wiring in some 12" cold cathode lighting into the car that turns on whenever the dome light comes on. I have done this on several cars. my main reason for wanting to see the diagram is to make sure that it was setup the way I thought it should be.

when I finish installing them, they will dim along with the dome light, or at least they have in the other installations I have done. all you need to do is run the negative (ground) connection of the CCL inverter to the actual negative side of the light terminals (not the pins that plug into the light, but the actual plate that the light touches). and then positive to the positive terminal in the car (perferably with a fuse inline). then the CCLs will follow the same patterns as the dome light.

once again, I am sorry for my overreacting to your post joecool. I just don't think you should judge what someone knows, or is capable of, just by how many posts they have made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
joecool234
joecool234 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacuda
let me apologize, in retrospect I realize I reacted a bit too harshly. at the same time though I still think that there was a more tactful way to say what he was trying to say. just because someone is new to a forum doesn't mean that they're new to everything that is related.

as far as what I'm doing. I'm wiring in some 12" cold cathode lighting into the car that turns on whenever the dome light comes on. I have done this on several cars. my main reason for wanting to see the diagram is to make sure that it was setup the way I thought it should be.

when I finish installing them, they will dim along with the dome light, or at least they have in the other installations I have done. all you need to do is run the negative (ground) connection of the CCL inverter to the actual negative side of the light terminals (not the pins that plug into the light, but the actual plate that the light touches). and then positive to the positive terminal in the car (perferably with a fuse inline). then the CCLs will follow the same patterns as the dome light.

once again, I am sorry for my overreacting to your post joecool. I just don't think you should judge what someone knows, or is capable of, just by how many posts they have made.
Why is it that EVERYONE seems to flip out with what I have to say? I'd apologize, but I still can't see what I've done wrong.

Anyways...BCM/PCM...whatever. I just meant that the electrical system is completely computer controlled. As for trying to run CCFL's off the same line as the dome is dangerous in my opinion. You have no idea how much transient current that thing draws, and could indeed wreak havok with the onboard computer. I'm not doubting your ability to do this on other cars. I would just think twice about doing such a thing. Any fluctuations on the control lines of the computer could cause the chip to fry, or the software to malfunction.

Personally, I would see if others have tried such a mod. If no one on the boards has, you can try some of the companies that rice up the ions (never really pay much attention to them). Either way, I would advise against doing this mod yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joecool234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joecool234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
ffejkat
ffejkat is on a distinguished road

hello. i don't have a diagram in front of me however the wires go form the door jam switches to the bcm than bcm give signal to the dome light. i hope this helps,
jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ffejkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ffejkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
ffejkat
ffejkat is on a distinguished road

your lights will work fine off the dome. i have seen it in a few ions,

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ffejkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ffejkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
dacuda

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool234
Personally, I would see if others have tried such a mod. If no one on the boards has, you can try some of the companies that rice up the ions (never really pay much attention to them). Either way, I would advise against doing this mod yourself.
Part of the fun of personalizing my car is to do stuff that I haven't seen others do before. So I guess that if no one has done this before, than I'll be the first one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #10
AlphaGeek
AlphaGeek is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Good luck then dacuda... Hopefully you'll report back with your success and pictures! when done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlphaGeek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlphaGeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
dacuda

2005 ION-2 Sedan

just wanted to post an update that I've gotten the lights in and they work exactly like I thought they would. I have pics up in my gallery, but for some reason I don't have a gallery button beside my posts. Herez a link to it: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...0/ppuser/13169

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread