SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
sl2ner08
sl2ner08 is on a distinguished road

Default oil pressure gauge

i have an 01 saturn sl2 ... where do i tap in the oil feed line??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2ner08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2ner08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2ner08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: oil pressure gauge

The easiest place to tap would be off the oil pressure sending unit port by using a 'T' fitting. There may another port but someone else will have to suggest where.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
sl2ner08

and where is this unit located?? i was under the car today and didn't really see anywhere i could use

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2ner08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have to unscrew it. I think its a metric thread but you will know once its out of there. Its the black plastic switch close to the knock sensor below the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Yes , along back of block toward bottom you can see a ridge which is probably the internal oil gallery, on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You have to unscrew it. I think its a metric thread but you will know once its out...
Heh-heh, not a good way to find this one. Perhaps this might help.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil sending unit-1.jpg (15.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg oil senduing unit-2.jpg (9.4 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
TomM96

On my '96 it was a metric thread of a size used for some crankcase drainplugs; it was not a tapered pipethread. [on the order of M12X1.75 , i think but be sure to check/measure]

The point being that mine was not an easy item for a stock/off-shelf Tee-fitting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
sl2ner08

and its a mechanical gauge... i found the one bolt with the harness going to it... cant seem to find a bolt i can use for my mechanical gauge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
sl2ner08

could i remove that oil sending unit all together and just use my mechanical gauge?? or will my oil light be on constantly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You need the oil pressure switch. Find a tee fitting they are not that rare or difficult to find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does he? If the sender is left off there won't be any 'idiot' light if the mechanical oil pressure set-up is relied on. As I understand it our oil sending unit just closes a switch to ground the wire when pressure is low turning on the light. Pressure builds up and the switch opens, lights off? Eliminating the sending unit will just disable the oil light but now depends on the pressure gauge, which is wanted.

sl2ner08, its your choice to leave the stock sending unit off and tie off the ground wire with electrical tape. You won't see the oil light on anymore and can depend on the mechanical pressure gauge set-up. You can always go back to the original stock set-up. By having a 'T' fitting you have the best of both; the idiot light before starting, going off at engine start-up and then the pressure gauge indicating pressure build-up. Just like the very old (Neanderthal) days before the idiot light was invented to eliminate the plumbing mess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #12
sl2ner08

so if i don't remove the bolt with the little harness on it what bolt do i remove?? im having trouble finding this one.. is there even another one other then the harness bolt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
TomM96

Sl2~
re > "the bolt with the little harness on it..."

The item in question is an 'oil pressure sensor' ; this is a transducer which enables the light on the instrument panel to know when to glow.

Mechanically , the item consists of a cylindrical threaded metallic section containing a pressure sensor and including a flat integral disc toward the upper section (which presses on a similar flat around the tapped hole in block, sealing against oil leaks), and also an electrical connector to enable a wire to communicate the designed message.

You need :
- remove electrical connector , with care
-remove (unscrew) the sensor (which , yes , bears resemblance to "bolts")
-ascertain the thread diameter and pitch of the tapped hole and OEM sensor threaded shank
-find if any of the adapters which were included with your pressure gage kit are compatible with the threaded hole in the block
-find out if you can get an appropriate Tee fitting ...
-etc
-'run'/route the mechanical gaga tubing with great care , providing support and slack to allow the engine to move normally in operation , without having the tubing be cut , abraded , or melted
-mount gage (and associated illumination apparatus) where visible....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
sl2ner08

so i don't need to replace the oil pressure sender?? i can just leave the stock harness disconnected?? will it throw up my oil light?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you leave the original oil pressure sender off the engine and leave the wire off, you'll have no oil light anymore. That's it in a nutshell.

You'll have to use your oil pressure parts to fill the hole.

The oil light will only light up when all the lights turn on during the ignition ON cycle (as part of the lamp test only), then turn off and stay off because you removed the wire and sending unit.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-31-2008 at 09:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

There are actually several plugs along the back of the engine. You don't have to use the hole for the pressure sensor.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote