SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
omphaelos
omphaelos is on a distinguished road

Default I think I have a big problem this time!

I was leaving for work today...i pulled away from the house in first gear (I have a manual transmission)...i had to stop to wait for some on-coming cars...then...

when i went to drive again...my shifter went limp!!

it only flops north and south now...apparently the car was still in some sort of gear because i had to do a big circle around the neighborhood just to get back to the house....but...i have about 2 weeks before i get my student loans and i don't have enough money to take it to the dealership right now...

any ideas?

do i need a new transmission?

what in the world happened!?!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to omphaelos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help omphaelos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
omphaelos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: I think I have a big problem this time!

I'll let the experts tell you what exactly is wrong, but...

Sounds more like a problem with the shifter and what it's connected to than a transmission problem... If it stayed in gear and you were able to drive it, you won't need a new transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Sounds like the shifter bushing under the console.

Read this and there are numerous other posts on this repair by using the search engine.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...hlight=shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
omphaelos

the service department is closed today...do you think it would be ok if i drove my car up there before school tomorrow?

i believe i am stuck in second...i could take back roads until about a quarter mile before the dealership...?

do you think it wise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help omphaelos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omphaelos View Post
the service department is closed today...do you think it would be ok if i drove my car up there before school tomorrow?

i believe i am stuck in second...i could take back roads until about a quarter mile before the dealership...?

do you think it wise?
Going to be expensive...

There's nothing wrong with driving there in second as long as you don't actually try to go the speed limit... Be thankful it's second gear, not fifth or first (LONG drive).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

I say crawl under there and look at the connections between the shifter and transmission while a friend moves the shifter around. That and with a few pictures from this forum, I'm sure you'll see what's wrong and be able to fix it yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If you "crawl under" the car, you'll see nothing. The problem is either where the fore-aft shift cable connects to the shifter, or where the cable connects to the tranny. The former is more likely, so we'll start there.

Remove the cup holder. You'll see two cables going forward from the shifter. The one on the right is the fore-aft cable. Follow it, with your hand if you can't see it, back to where it connects to the shifter. Move the shifter forward and back. If you detect that the cable has become disconnected, that bushing has failed. The "orthodox" repair is replacement of the whole cable; WAY too expensive. There are several cheaper alternatives. Search our archives on "shifter bushing" for a flood of information on the subject.

For the time being, you _might_ get away with: remove the console (you'll have to do this for the full fix anyway), re-attach the cable to the shifter, and try holding it in place with zip-ties, twist-ties or baling wire. It might hold long enough to gently shift it thru the gears necessary to get to the store.

If you don't see a problem there, open the hood and look at the cables going into the tranny from the firewall, while an assistant works the shifter forward and aft. (You inspect it from above, NOT from below.) There are two clips on the fore-aft cable that make it work. One, large clip holds the HOUSING (the part of the cable that DOESN'T move onto the case of the tranny. Another, smaller clip holds the end of the cable CORE (the part that DOES move) onto the linkage that goes into the tranny and actually moves the gears. If either of these has fallen off, once again, you might be able to secure it temporarily with zip-ties. You should also look on the engine cradle and elsewhere under the hood, in case it's fallen but landed somewhere. You might even be lucky enough to find it on the ground at the point where the shifter failed. Those clips are around a dollar at the dealer, BTW. Get an extra, and keep it in the console or glove box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
omphaelos

ok, i popped off the cup holder...before that i had just looked through the side...

i see that the little bar that moves when i moved the stick definitely looks broken...but i am completely at a loss on how to apply any sort of tape or twisty-ties...

ahhh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
oseberg

omphaelos, if you have a digital camera, try everything madpogue has said, then fill this thread with the pictures.

It'll make it a lot easier for everyone here to help you. I'm sure this is a simple cheap problem to fix yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
omphaelos

yeah, that may be...but i do not have a digital camera...

i would love to try to fix this sucker myself, i really have no problem doing that, but i simply do not have the time right now...i just started fall semester last week...i work in a few hours...i have to go to school tomorrow then i am going to work right after that...

how much could it possibly be if i take it to the dealership...i don't have my loans for another two weeks, but if it isn't crazy expensive, then i should be able to afford it so at least i have my car because right now i am sort of in a very very bad situation what with all my classes that i have to get to and then work on top of that...

sorry, i am just really frustrated, you guys are very helpful and i thank you very much

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

I'm pretty sure the clip that holds the cable in place on the transmission side is broken. It's a $5 part at the dealership. I had that happen to me. You can only select 3rd and 4th when that happens

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If it's the usual problem with the bushing, the dealer will replace the whole cable. Part is over $200, and labor will probably be $100 or so. This for a fix you could possibly do for as little as $10.

Visit our photo gallery, maybe do a search on "shifter", and find someone else's photo of her/his shifter with the console off. Then doctor that photo to point to what you see is broken. Or can you borrow a cell phone camera?

Have you remove the whole console yet? If not, do it now, to give you better access both to diagonse and to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
oseberg

I don't believe it's going to take you more than 3 hours to solve this problem (I'm guessing around an hour). But if it took you 3 hours, you'd have to be getting paid $100/hour to have that 3 hours cost you the $300 you'll be likely to save by doing this job yourself.

And, if it ever happens again, you'll have a complete understanding of the problem and be able to fix it for $5 and around 15 minutes next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
omphaelos

this is as good of a description as i can give you...i can't figure out how to remove the whole console...i took out the screws on both sides and the cup holders...

but...the console head is underneath the stereo/ac compartment...i don't know how to pull it up without getting mad and breaking something...

ok

looking at the bottom of the stick from the driver's side...i see the pole that extends from the bottom of the stick...it has a black plastic looking piece of the bottom that appears to have broken in a not so symmetrical pattern...i can only move the stick up and down/north south...i can't go into 5th, 4th or reverse...i can't really put it in 1st either...however, if i slide it down into 2nd...then the pole shaft nearest the driver side moves like it is being engaged...

before this happened i noticed that i had been having a very hard time putting the car into first...it would give up extreme resistance...i would have to try 3 to 5 times to finally get it into gear sometimes, and second gear has always had resistance as well...

maybe this will help a little bit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
oseberg

What year and model is your car?

I thought about running out to look at my 95 SL2 for a second, but then realized that I don't know if you have the same car as me or not.

I don't believe you're going to have to remove the entire console. I think you just need to remove the stuff around the shifter (where the cup holder is).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
omphaelos

it is a 98 sl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
oseberg

It's the white plastic part that connects to the end of the rod that leads forward to the transmission, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
omphaelos

yes, that is correct

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
oseberg

It doesn't appear that the plastic part unscrews from the end. I would probably epoxy it back to the way it was meant to be, then dremmel a grove around the outer edge of it and bend a strong steel wire around to fit in the grove and epoxy it into the grove making it stronger than originally designed.

It seems it should be possible to purchase a new plastic part and break off the old one and epoxy the new on in place, but that relies on the availability of purchasing a new plastic part.

I'm sure someone here knows what you have to buy to replace the entire busted part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

I'm tellin ya if you can only move the shifter up and down and not side to side, the cable responsible for side-to-side movement is loose because the clip that holds it to the transmission itself flew out. I just had that happen to me about two days ago, I can even take a pic for you when I get a chance

Also, cables can be found at a junkyard for about $15, they are HELL to remove and install though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote