SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
willfxp
willfxp is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default Cold Air Vs. Hot/Warm Air

So, on this Thanksgiving weekend, I drove up from Los Angeles to Sacramento. Took the 5 all the way up.

Going up, I started around 9AM. Was in a little bit of traffic here and there. 80MPH at main cruising speed. I filled up at my halfway point. About 31MPG. Leaving at around 1PM, from there to Sacramento, I drove about 70MPH, little traffic here and there. Yes, full on stop and go at times, but not too bad (I'm from LA, so used to it!). I got about 34MPG.

Coming back, leaving at 12 midnight, same path. No traffic at all. 70MPH average. I only got around 31MPG the entire way.

I was expecting same or BETTER gas milage driving at midnight, being it has colder air. I have a stock intake system, but the air was significantly colder than driving through the California 'desert' at peak time. Yes, this isn't the best test, but I swear I should have had better milage on the way home. No traffic, curise control all the way, colder air, etc. It was a little windy at night, and I can feel it in the steering wheel at times, but it didn't happen often. I even used the aircon on the way up because it was hot.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

1997 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to willfxp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help willfxp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
willfxp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cold Air Vs. Hot/Warm Air

I'm pretty sure cooler air will decrease gas mileage. You think my gas mileage goes up during the winter? No.

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
willfxp

1997 SW2

Hmm... I thought I heard people getting better MPG when they install the cold air intake...

1997 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help willfxp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfxp
Hmm... I thought I heard people getting better MPG when they install the cold air intake...
yes, but that's different from the entire outside being cold though you are in Cali. I live deep in the Rockies with a whole bunch of snow and a daytime high of 29 degrees. CAI does improve gas mileage some but it isn't seen most of the time because you wanna feel the extra power (I have trouble with this unfortunately ). Glad that gas prices seem to be going down.

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Colder=heavier air, more oxygen which usually means more power. Also usually means a heavier foot on the accelerator(me!). Also you have that steep climb into & through the Tehachapies(sp?) that kills gas milage (the climb & then being at a higher altitude).

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2

going north on the grapevine is alot easier on any car than going south on it. It's pretty much one large hill on the way to LA, but coming to sac, it's pretty gradual. The road isn't flat from here to LA, you need to consider that in your fuel economy.

I travel the grapevine alot and usually fill up in buttonwillow or at the lyons exit. I've also noticed that going to SD (as opposed to coming from SD) i usually lose a few miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M.Nguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M.Nguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M.Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

colder air is denser and requires more fuel to burn with it to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. gas mileage is usually worse in winter than summer.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
willfxp

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nguyen
going north on the grapevine is alot easier on any car than going south on it. It's pretty much one large hill on the way to LA, but coming to sac, it's pretty gradual. The road isn't flat from here to LA, you need to consider that in your fuel economy.

I travel the grapevine alot and usually fill up in buttonwillow or at the lyons exit. I've also noticed that going to SD (as opposed to coming from SD) i usually lose a few miles.
Ah, I didn't know that. That makes sense. Next time I take that trip, I'll check the altitude on my GPS. See how much of a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
colder air is denser and requires more fuel to burn with it to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. gas mileage is usually worse in winter than summer.
That's what I gather from CAI research. But doesn't that give you more power, so to an affect, you don't need to rev as high? What is the point of CAI then?

1997 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfxp
That's what I gather from CAI research. But doesn't that give you more power, so to an affect, you don't need to rev as high? What is the point of CAI then?

Colder denser air=more oxygen to burn.
More oxygen to burn=more power.
More power=more fuel used.

You may not need to rev as high to get the same power but at some point, ie steady state cruising, there is nothing that you can do about the RPM's.

Steady state cruising it will be more about the speed that you are going and the work that you are asking the engine to do. A steady up hill climb will mean that the engine has to work more. More work done means more fuel burnt.

A CAI is all about trying to get more efficient engine operation to get more power from the engine. In the end though power costs fuel. You don't get power for free.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=resistor+mod

hot air is less dense so less fuel is needed to maintain the ratio. So the computer tells the injectors to shoot in less fuel for each on cycle.

This guy is heating his air intake and modifying the IAT to force the issue and increase the mpg.
Actually it makes sense, so if you want better mileage, simply do the things he has done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote