SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: 2001 SL2 w/automatic- chirping noise from oil pan bell housing area

Sure, oil, grease, or anti-sieze on that stuff will help. In fact, you are advised to put a bit of RTV on the big washer, as oil will seep out to that point any way and you might have a slight leak there. Torque is 148 lb-ft, if I recall correctly. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I have a hard time believing the drive pulley is chirping. If it was chirping, then it would be killing the seal. If it killed the seal, it would be leaking. If it was leaking, it would be that much more lubricated, and would not be chirping.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

You are thinking about the wrong surface on the pulley hub. If the big screw isn't tight enough there could be slight movement of the pulley ID on the crank. Agreed, though, a "noisy pulley" is pretty uncommon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

The dampener is keyed to the crankshaft nose. There should not be enough relative motion there to produce a chirp unless the dampener bolt is loose and the key has gotten beaten to death. The rubber ring between the inner and outer sections of the dampener can fail, but the time between when you would hear a chirp and total failure would be quite short I would think. If there are lots of visible cracks in the rubber or powdered rubber bits on the dampener it should be replaced.
Don't put goop on the bolt threads. Do clean off and put RTV on the side of the washer that goes against the dampener hub. Per FSM bolt torque is 159 ft-lbs for dry threads. FSM also tells you to hold the dampener from turning with a 3/4" square by 12" long piece of wood so you don't muck up the aluminum bits.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (41.0 KB, 3 views)

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

RTV is placed UNDER the center bolt head and ON the washer face that contacts the crank pulley. Both are required or you will have oil leakage. The washer has a concave side and a convex side, The concave side faces the crank pulley. This is important.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
tiger19571975
tiger19571975 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Well took balancer off found no corrosion or abnormal wear on sprocket or pulley. Put a new pulley on still have noise. Ran engine with it off noise still there. Ran car 20 miles and noise is worse. Such a shame car is supet clean in and out, but not worth doing another engine. Still would like any input anyone wants to give. Ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger19571975's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger19571975 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger19571975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #27
billr
Master Member

So, the noise is still there when the crank pulley is off, correct? Did you run it for 20 miles with the pulley off and the water pump not running; or do you mean the noise is getting worse after only 20 more miles running with everything back together?

Post recording/video of the noise. That's a long-shot, as noises are so hard to locate and diagnose even in person, but maybe we can get a useful clue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #28
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

Ok back. Car has been parked for awhile. Last investigation I removed belt and crank pulley. Ran for afew minutes chirp noise still there from end of crank. Saw nothing abnormal looking at timing chain crank sprocket. Also really couldn't hear noise with stethoscope from oil pan. Could it be noise from timing chain sprocket or main bearing? What oils the chain? If main bearing seems like it would have chewed up by now. Man wish I could figure this out. Help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tiger19571975 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #29
billr
Master Member

Help us to help you... post a recording of the noise, with pulley and belts off.

It is hard to imagine a main bearing "chirping", you may have to pull off the timing cover to do some inspection in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #30
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

I'll try to figure out how to upload a audio file soon. If you don't feel its a main bearing then maybe something chain/sprocket related. Was wondering about oiling issue. Some noted RTV on washer which I didn't do. But never saw oil seepage on washer or bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #31
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

On the uploading sound- if you have a Dropbox account- just upload the sound there, and point a link for us to listen to it... MP3 file at 192K probably will be decent. Wav files will take up more space.

Which pulley did you replace?

Idler Pulley?
Belt Tensioner?

These are two different pieces- in my 20 years of wrenching on these cars experience- the Belt Tensioner goes bad and will exhibit a belt chirp because the spring inside wears out. Idler Pulley can go bad as well.

Do you have a mechanic Stethoscope?

Long shot- What is the condition of the Water Pump?
The reason I ask is that once on my 94 SL2- the fan piece of my water pump sheared off at the main junction point in the bottom of the Water Pump inlet and created this horrible chirping grinding noise until the Water Pump completely blew up on me- luckily I wasn't stranded- but worth a long shot here for what it's worth.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #32
billr
Master Member

See reply #28, where OP says the chirp is still there when the belt and crank pulley are completely off the engine; no chance any of the accessories or belt idler/tensioner are causing the chirp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #33
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

When I first heard the noise thought is was the water pump as I had a Jeep with similar noise. But noise definitely from end of crank with pulley and belt off. Noise a chirp or metal squeak. Doesn't do when first started only till heats up some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #34
billr
Master Member

This thread has morphed from a noise at the flywheel (OK, flex-plate) end of the engine over to the belt end.

I gotta ask... have you spent some happy time listening all over at the left end of the engine, are you sure noise isn't coming from over there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #35
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

Yes at first was listening by ear and thought it was from that end. But after buying a stethoscope and extensive listening found noise from middle of crank pulley. Made double sure not from trans area or oil pan. Sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
billr
Master Member

Okay, that's what I understood from what has been posted before, but I wanted to raise the question and have you confirm. We really need to hear this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #37
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

I will do when get the chance ty. I did want to ask. What provides oil to the chain? No oil came out of seal when I pulled the balancer and no seepage from bolt as some have mentioned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #38
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

Ok new question. After finding out what is involved in that area. Can the oil pump give me the metal chirp I have? I assume its still functioning because I have no engine noise. If that's it can I use a oil system cleaner then like a 5w40 oil with some Lucas? Pulling timing cover would be a pain and then of coarse new chain assy and oil pump, ect. Engine has 188k now might be better r&r engine. I dont know this is the noise but kinda leaning that way. Ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #39
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

5w-40 oil + Lucas is not something that should ever be used in one of these engines except in very rare circumstances.

You will not fix this with an overhaul in a can.

If you actually ran this engine with the crank pulley removed how much oil did it sling out while running? --None is NOT a good sign.

The properly torqued crank pulley is what locks the lower timing chain sprocket in the proper position and this is also the oil pump drive. The engine should not be operated with that pulley not properly installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
tiger19571975

2001 SL2

Ok ty on the oil deal. Just talked to shop that tryed investigated noise. They said bolt wasnt loose, but did not run with pulley off. They removed old crank pulley and installed a new one and noise still there, so put old one back on. No oil came out of seal area when r&r pulleys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!