SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Justgetmefixed
Justgetmefixed is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Ticking from engine at idle

Hey guy, first time posting on a forum but in need of some assistance, I have a 2000 sl2 with just over 200 thousand kilometers my first vehicle, ever and I love it it's got plenty of power it's good on gas but I have a problem with whe it is idling sometimes it has a knocking noise from the passenger side of the engine only happens whe it's warm, it is the dohc version and I did just change the oil, oil filter, and the ects apparently this has been going for a while (said the previous owner aka my mother) any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Justgetmefixed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Justgetmefixed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Justgetmefixed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Ticking from engine at idle

Ticking or knocking?
Ticking may be a lifter needs extra lube (add 1/qt new tranny fluid to gas), might be a stretched serpentine belt, or belt tensioner going bad, whereas knocking might be all the above and more importantly, the timing chain slapping against the guides. The engine has been kept up with it's oil, not run really low on oil?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Justgetmefixed

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Ticking or knocking?
Ticking may be a lifter needs extra lube (add 1/qt new tranny fluid to gas), might be a stretched serpentine belt, or belt tensioner going bad, whereas knocking might be all the above and more importantly, the timing chain slapping against the guides. The engine has been kept up with it's oil, not run really low on oil?
Ita definitely a ticking the serpent belt is brand new, I'm not quite sure about the the tentoner, and I didn't think it would be the Tc because it doesn't happen alot. I did the upkeep on the car mostly for her because shes a bit of a newb at doing stuff like that the oil was dirty but it was in the clear before I changed it, and not to question you or anything but what will adding tyranny fluid to the gas do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Justgetmefixed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL1

Ever heard of Marvel Mystery Oil?
Read up on their website, they recommend their product for ticking lifters....but I never purchase their stuff....too expensive, so for literally decades, I have use ordinary new tranny fluid instead.
Adding a pint to gas tank, and drive away....usually, if it is a lifter tick, it will go away fairly quickly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Is there a theory why adding MMO to the fuel frees up a sticking lifter?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Justgetmefixed

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Ever heard of Marvel Mystery Oil?
Read up on their website, they recommend their product for ticking lifters....but I never purchase their stuff....too expensive, so for literally decades, I have use ordinary new tranny fluid instead.
Adding a pint to gas tank, and drive away....usually, if it is a lifter tick, it will go away fairly quickly.
I have the dual over head cam I don't believe it has lifters as far as I know it pushes right on the valves, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Nope, it is not like a Yamaha. It pushes on a roller rocker, which uses a lifter as the pivot point. The roller is in the middle of the rocker arm.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

Below is quoted from the above website address.

Marvel Mystery Oil® lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top portion of the cylinders. These are areas, that by design, motor oil does not reach. Using Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide.

• In addition, Marvel Mystery Oil® improves fuel mileage by reducing internal friction in the engine.

• Marvel should be used in the fuel at every fill-up. Use 4 ounces for every 10 gallons of fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^Thanks I can see where MMO in fuel would lube the valve stems. ...Amazing the little 4-cylinder's valves are still sealing after so many km.
Justgetmefixed, maybe try a mechanic's stethoscope
Can you remove the valve cover and let it idle hot? Tape potty pads everywhere the oil could sling https://www.chewy.com/frisco-giant-t...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
(Me, me, me: When my car was smashed, the engine sat for ~9 months...and then ...I gooped Vaseline into the oil pump and got myself a ticking lifter I can still see the disgusted look on the female store clerk's face when I cheerfully plopped the jar of Vaseline on the counter )

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #10
Justgetmefixed

2000 SL2

i think i will pick up a bit of marvel stuff and put some in my gas and oil when i get the money and chance to do so, i have the redneck stethoscope (end of a screw driver to the engine to ear) and im not sure if i feel brave enough to yank my vale cover off and stick the pee pads in the holes ( been using those pads to train are bloody dog, keeps chewing them up) i will do the mmo first and if that doesn't help then ill go and pop the valve cover off and check my chain, although with all the youtube vids iv watched just recently i dont beleve its the chain slapping around ( i hope not dammit!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

A fresh sump of Mobil 1 5w-30 will do wonders for ticking lifters.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Justgetmefixed

2000 SL2

sorry its been awhile , well i grew the balls and went and pulled my valve cover off (had to replace the seals they were leaking) and didn't see any chain slap it actually looked brand new so maybe someone worked on it before , i did notice however that on the side of the tick there were like black carbon deposits like carbon buildup , recently did another oil change to see if it would help and it did a little iv been putting seafoam in my gas and been using Lucas oil stabilizer also and the tick is near not noticeable, alot of people are telling me to put some seafoam in the oil to help clean it up before my next oil change not sure what you guys think but from what iv herd its like a god sent for noisy lifters, not sure about marvel though its to damm expensive but if Susan (i named my car yea so ) needs it ill do it , love to hear what you think about the seafoam theory !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

i have the same issue but it's my power steering pump. It's been doing it for 2 years. Never got worse. My car is at 433,000 km

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

$3.88 for a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil is a whole lot cheaper than Seafoam at 16 ounces! Even said, that's why I use ordinary Dexron III instead. Probably would have reduced your ticking looooong ago and for less $.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
T. Thudpucker
T. Thudpucker is on a distinguished road

Recently I had rattle noise coming from the passenger side that was driving me insane, turned out to be the alternator.

Pull your belt off after the engine is warm and start the car and idle it for a minute to see if the noise is still present. If the noise magically goes away its the alternator, dollars to donuts.

#1 1999 SL2, RIP
#2 1999 SL2, Operational
#3 1999 SL2 HCE, Operational
#4 2001 SL1, Operational
#5 2001 SL2 10th Anniversary, stored *NEXT*
#6 1997 SL2, Operational
1979 Dodge Adventurer 200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T. Thudpucker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T. Thudpucker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T. Thudpucker is offline   Reply With Quote