SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #41
spacetrace33
spacetrace33 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL2
Default Re: Starting to get into all the small details

No scoring on aluminum, so all well there.

The new part is a gm part, not aftermarket, I will need to make sure no debris left in the hole and double check clearances. From old to new. Also the old one did have some sort of garbage (rtv perhaps) in it.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
98 SL2 race car-not street legal by any means
01 SC2 race car-not street legal by any means
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacetrace33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacetrace33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacetrace33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That kind of garbage gets cleaned out when you boil out these parts. There is a much higher risk of rapid engine failure from improperly cleaned and prepped parts than ther is from the spring loaded bypass valve.

Any supposed mandate to replace is based on ancient history with valves of an entirely different design and location in the system. I know it is in the FSM but there is no basis for doing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #43
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Ok. So what do you want me to do?

Nothing yet has provided a clear resolution, to either situations.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spacetrace33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #44
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have a new one on the way, the oil one is out now so install the new one that you ordered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #45
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

"Nothing yet has provided a clear resolution, to either situations."

Either situation? Are you still concerned about that top screw in the chain guide? It's fine, ignore it. (And, agreed, put in the new relief valve that fits; what's to wonder about?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #46
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Issues resolved for now. Thanks guys.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #47
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Just to update. It's been a good long while.

Got this engine rebuilt. Stage one head port, with intake cam mod. Nothing really serious going on.

In process of getting it installed in the car for the second time....

First time, lost oil pressure after a serious "beating" due to machine shop heating up the oil relief valve in tc. Thinking the valve opened, and then couldn't seal correctly afterwards when it idled. Got that fixed, and checked bearings/oil pump since I was there. All is well... As far as I can tell with an oil pressure gauge and cranking engine with starter. Got more pressure than before. Now that I'm hopefully past that....

Now when the engine was in the car, running..... Fuel trims showed it running lean. No codes btw. When I removed the spark plugs, 1&2 looked like they been running rich.....3&4 still looked new, with exception of fire/spark marks on electrode, if that makes sense.

All injectors are new. Ohmed out (cold) 12.5 across all four.

This engine has above service limit compression, and spark.

My questions are

1. Can the cam mod cause this?

2. Is there a way to see injector pulse without a special tool?

3. Maybe something I'm missing altogether here?

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

FYI: Plugs 1 and 4 are in series and both fire at the same time, this is also true for plugs 2 and 3. The difference between plug 1 and 4 is the direction of current flow through the plug. What you are describing is a spark plug or wire issue. The 2nd possibility is an ICM issue but the ICM is very remote.

The questions are:
--Exactly what brand of plugs and what exact plug number are you using?

--What brand of plug wires are you using?

--Are you using OEM coils or some aftermarket coil?

Further the coil secondary is NOT grounded to anything. The secondary loop is connected to the block for RFI/EMI shielding through ther plug shell only, this is not a ground path for the firing current.

Do not run with this engine running lean like this at any sustained high RPM, valves will be fried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #49
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

I honestly don't recall which plug I'm running exactly. If it helps...ngk 6954 from ra that's on sale.

The plug wires are ac Delco 744QQ.

I am using the coils and icm that came with the car. History unknown.

To add there are no service codes (with exception for auto trans that's not there anymore)

From the info I'm gathering.... From my observations, 3&4 are the problems. Are we on the same page?

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #50
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrace33 View Post
I honestly don't recall which plug I'm running exactly. If it helps...ngk 6954 from ra that's on sale.

The plug wires are ac Delco 744QQ.

I am using the coils and icm that came with the car. History unknown.

To add there are no service codes (with exception for auto trans that's not there anymore)

From the info I'm gathering.... From my observations, 3&4 are the problems. Are we on the same page?

That is your problem as to plug condition and possibly lean condition. You can freely use any NGK BKR* plug as long as it is not also a platinum plug.

The OEM is a BKR5ESA-11 plug and the next colder plug is a NGK 5553 {#BKR6E, BKR6ES11} at 1.42 ea from RA. You may find a colder plug will run better in that engine. Do not attempt to regap the plugs, they are set correctly by OEM. Just inspect for obvious damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #51
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Thought they looked too shiney. Dang. Alright. So here's my plan of attack.

Get new plugs. Listen to injector pulse with long screwdriver. After warm up, take ohm readings again, and check for intake leak by three and four.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #52
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Nothing else wrong so just change plugs and run gently for a week then check plugs. Do not be exceeding 3000 RPM until you get this solved. Could be lots of things but not injectors, they are actually monitored. I would be looking at fuel pressure with engine running. Those non firing plugs will severely screw up the mixture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #53
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Great advice. Thanks.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Poor firing plug pair pumps excess O2 into the exhaust convincing the O2 sensor that the system is lean. Good plugs should straighten this out in about 3 minutes of running at idle once the engine is warmed up. The rest of it takes a bit longer to relearn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #55
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

It may be time to take 100 steps back.

Primed her up today, with appx 10 psi on oil gauge. Started up fine, changed plugs btw, no codes.

Oil pressure at idle was around 30, maybe a hair higher.

As she started to warm up, the pressure began to drop. It finally dropped to appx 8 and I had to turn it off.

Removed my gauge, bench tested it. It is found to be trustworthy.

Installed factory dummy switch. Decided to do another prime to see if oil light would go out, and it didn't.

Yes. 100 steps back. What to do? Light it on fire?

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #56
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Maybe not 100 steps back, but let's at least talk about reply #37 where there was some confusion about the relief valve, and reply #47 where you commented that something "took a beating" when the shop tried to change that valve. I also noticed a comment about that valve being pressed-in and you may get some leakage if the R & R of it isn't done properly. So, is there any further detail you can give about that "beating"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #57
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

The beating referred to engine rpm. I

The first r&r was done with heat by m s.

The second r&r was done by me with a screw driver and 13mm socket.

What did I mess up now

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #58
spacetrace33

2000 SL1
1998 SL2

Thought I should add that engine sounded like it was firing better with spark plugs changed.... Haven't removed yet to verify anything.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #59
billr
Master Member

So... it lost oil pressure while at high rpm? Did you check every bearing, and how? Plasti-gauge may not be accurate enough. What oil viscosity are you using?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #60
billr
Master Member

I have never seen what is inside the oil pan on this type engine, not even a good picture/diagram. Is there a chance the oil pick-up tube isn't sealed tight? With this pump being not down in the oil and "flooded", I expect any leakage on the suction side could be a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!