SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
OGC5
OGC5 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Information Increased MPG by 25% on our XR

I had to re check myself but it's true. We drive 70% highway and 30% town and were getting 20 MPG. I replaced the restrictive Factory Air Filter with a K & N replacement filter and ran a bottle of Techron Injector cleaner for 100 miles then I then filled up with 93 Octane and ran the tank to about 1/4 full, checked the MPG and was amazed, it was over 25 MPG!. I just put in a tank of 89 Octane and will see how it does.
We purchased our loaded 2008 XR from our dealer with just a few thousand miles on it and got a great deal. The original owner like many others traded in the XR for an XE -4 cyl. because of the poor mileage.
I am pretty happy with 25 MPG on this little Porker now and since the original purchaser paid for the big depreciation we figure to drive many thousands of miles on their nickel. Too many folks are rushing to buy a new Vehicle and taking a big hit that could buy a lot of Fuel.
OGC5

Last edited by OGC5; 06-20-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OGC5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Increased MPG by 25% on our XR

Sounds like alot of trouble to go through to get 25 mpg. I just filled up my '06 V6 with regular and got the same numbers based on the same hwy/city (coincidentally). I can only hope the GL and 2-mode Vues will be in ample supply soon as the gas mileage on the present 4 and 6 cyl models are abysmal!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGC5 View Post
I had to re check myself but it's true. We drive 70% highway and 30% town and were getting 20 MPG. I replaced the restrictive Factory Air Filter with a K & N replacement filter and ran a bottle of Techron Injector cleaner for 100 miles then I then filled up with 93 Octane and ran the tank to about 1/4 full, checked the MPG and was amazed, it was over 25 MPG!. I just put in a tank of 89 Octane and will see how it does.
We purchased our loaded 2008 XR from our dealer with just a few thousand miles on it and got a great deal. The original owner like many others traded in the XR for an XE -4 cyl. because of the poor mileage.
I am pretty happy with 25 MPG on this little Porker now and since the original purchaser paid for the big depreciation we figure to drive many thousands of miles on their nickel. Too many folks are rushing to buy a new Vehicle and taking a big hit that could buy a lot of Fuel.
OGC5

You don't happen to be a distributer of K&N filters and Techron cleaner, are you?

Seriously, I think it's very unlikely those two items will do anything. However, the premium fuel may give you 5 ~ 10% improvement, depending on how bad the standard grade fuel is that you are comparing it with ... e.g. "regular" with 10% ethanol will have less energy content than petroleum-based fuel that is undiluted, also, the higher octane may allow the engine to run with more spark advance and better valve timing to pick up some efficiency.

So, the question is, "is 20 cents / gallon extra for premium worth 5% more MPG?" Maybe yes, maybe no ... @ $4.00 / gallon it's break-even.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
OGC5

2008 VUE 3.6L
Cool Re: Increased MPG by 25% on our XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
Sounds like alot of trouble to go through to get 25 mpg. I just filled up my '06 V6 with regular and got the same numbers based on the same hwy/city (coincidentally). I can only hope the GL and 2-mode Vues will be in ample supply soon as the gas mileage on the present 4 and 6 cyl models are abysmal!
We purchased our 2002 AWD 3.0 V6 new and put 126k on it. The old thrasher V6 in that Vue and the later Honda V6 versions for sure got better MPG than the new ones. The 2008 Vue is a much better vehicle than the previous models but GM needs to put the new model on a diet as they are 400 - 500 lbs overweight with the new all steel bodies. The new 2 mode is supposed to get the best mileage of any V6 Mid size SUV but they will cost a lot more and are more complex. However, the K & N lifetime Air Filter and Cleaning kit only costs around $60.00 and I am satisfied with the results.
OGC5

Last edited by OGC5; 06-20-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: the

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OGC5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
OGC5

2008 VUE 3.6L
Happy Re: Increased MPG by 25% on our XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
You don't happen to be a distributer of K&N filters and Techron cleaner, are you?

Seriously, I think it's very unlikely those two items will do anything. However, the premium fuel may give you 5 ~ 10% improvement, depending on how bad the standard grade fuel is that you are comparing it with ... e.g. "regular" with 10% ethanol will have less energy content than petroleum-based fuel that is undiluted, also, the higher octane may allow the engine to run with more spark advance and better valve timing to pick up some efficiency.

So, the question is, "is 20 cents / gallon extra for premium worth 5% more MPG?" Maybe yes, maybe no ... @ $4.00 / gallon it's break-even.
No not a distributor, I am just an Old racer and backyard mechanic who has had many Motorcycles and fast cars over the years including my 2000 Corvette which I race on occasion. If you hold the Factory paper filter and the K & N side by side you can see right away that the latter is less restrictive. Remember an IC engine is basically an Air Pump. The Computer will relearn and adjust for the increased air flow. There are several good injector cleaners but the cheap ones are a waste of money. You are correct about the 10% Ethanol in our Gasoline here and that there are trade offs, I am going to see how the 89 Octane does next.
OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I've run a K&N drop in filter on two different vehicles with no change in fuel economy at all. The only noticable change was the sound of the intake. They do flow better but there is no real change in fuel efficiency from them. Also, there is evidence to suggest silica particles get past a K&N and end up in the engine. People who have oil analyses done that run K&N's report higher than normal levels of silica. Keep in mind, by nature, a filter is designed to be restrictive otherwise it wouldn't filter. Better flow is not always better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

I agree. I think that the premium fuel did more to improve the MPG than its being given credit for here. Especially since the GM HF 3.6L is a thirsty one. In the DI version on the Cadillac, they even recommend premium fuel for the best performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
B|o|B|o
B|o|B|o is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
OGC5
i have a kn filter just like you. bought it the day i got notice from them. i have done the fuel grade experiment already. STICK with the premium. the lower grades will give you less mpg. i fill up with Chevron supreme all the time now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to B|o|B|o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help B|o|B|o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
B|o|B|o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
B|o|B|o
B|o|B|o is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Seriously, I think it's very unlikely those two items will do anything. However, the premium fuel may give you 5 ~ 10% improvement, depending on how bad the standard grade fuel is that you are comparing it with ...
agree, not a big improvement. but almost anything counts now with the prices so damn high. but the main thing is DRIVING HABITS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to B|o|B|o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help B|o|B|o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
B|o|B|o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
OGC5

2008 VUE 3.6L
Question Re: Increased MPG by 25% on our XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
... there is evidence to suggest silica particles get past a K&N and end up in the engine. People who have oil analyses done that run K&N's report higher than normal levels of silica. Keep in mind, by nature, a filter is designed to be restrictive otherwise it wouldn't filter. Better flow is not always better.
PROVE IT!
:OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I, for one, will not bash you. I'm glad things are working out for you. I'm going to take it a step further and "adapt", yes "adapt" an intake to fit my XE. There isn't one made for my Vue, but I have a way of making things work...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
PROVE IT!
K& N filters flow more air and filter less dirt. There are several independent lab tests that prove it. They work fine in high performance applications. I run one on my bike which is in a high state of tune and doesn't see much street use. I have used them for many years on various vehicles. I think I'll stick with the AC Delco replacement filters from here on in.
Here's interesting reading:
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Last edited by hand-filer; 06-20-2008 at 05:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
PROVE IT!

Go over to Bob is the Oil Guy, where they post oil analyses all the time and many many members have reported higher levels of silica in the oil. Silica is commonly found in sand and gets into the engine via the intake and eventually past the rings into the oil. Silica is abrassive and not exactly what you want floating around in an engine.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=k%2...utf-8&fr=b2ie7

plenty of links to stories about this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Here's some data. I've had a K&N intake system on my VUE soon after I bought it. I have 3 UOA's on this sheet.

Blackstone said my silicon was high the first two UOA's from the new gaskets and sealers used in the manufacture of the engine. You can now see that silicon and all the other metals are reading well.

I'll post my 4th UOA when I change my oil in 6 months or so... All my driving is suburbs, with some commercial dusty roads.

From the UOA's to date I say without a doubt the K&N is NOT causing any problems. The engine is a jewel.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Silicon and silicone are two different things. silicone is what you'd find in gaskets and seals and such. silicon is not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

"silica" = silicon dioxide = sand (if in little bits) which is used in sandpaper

"silicone" is a rubber-like polymer, used for seals, gaskets, hoses, insulators, etc.

Too much of either, if in the wrong place, would not be a good thing to have in your engine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Hence I never said silicone, just referenced what Blackstone told me on the earlier UOA's. Facts are the K&N air filter is not destroying the engine the way some websites have you believe.

froggy I'm not trying to rattle your cage, but I have 14 years of real life experience using K&N filter systems. I also have three UOA's showing they are not destroying the engine. The key word here should be "real life".

I'll continue to post my UOA's on this site so you can see in "real life" how well the K&N filter system is performing.

I have Mobil 1 in the VUE now, I'm switching to Royal Purple next oil change, and I've heard the silicon levels are higher in Royal Purple oil. We'll see if that's true in future UOA's.

Silicon (Si): High readings generally indicate dirt or fine sand contamination from a leaking air intake system. This would act as an abrasive, causing excessive wear. Silicon is also used as a anti-foam agent in some oils.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
"silica" = silicon dioxide = sand (if in little bits) which is used in sandpaper

"silicone" is a rubber-like polymer, used for seals, gaskets, hoses, insulators, etc.

Too much of either, if in the wrong place, would not be a good thing to have in your engine!
I also inspect the throttle body yearly for any buildups or contaminates. It's just as shiny and clean as the day they built it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #19
OGC5

2008 VUE 3.6L
Happy Re: 14 Years using K & N Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Hence I never said silicone, just referenced what Blackstone told me on the earlier UOA's. Facts are the K&N air filter is not destroying the engine the way some websites have you believe.

froggy I'm not trying to rattle your cage, but I have 14 years of real life experience using K&N filter systems. I also have three UOA's showing they are not destroying the engine. The key word here should be "real life".

I'll continue to post my UOA's on this site so you can see in "real life" how well the K&N filter system is performing.

I have Mobil 1 in the VUE now, I'm switching to Royal Purple next oil change, and I've heard the silicon levels are higher in Royal Purple oil. We'll see if that's true in future UOA's.

Silicon (Si): High readings generally indicate dirt or fine sand contamination from a leaking air intake system. This would act as an abrasive, causing excessive wear. Silicon is also used as a anti-foam agent in some oils.
I have also used K & N filters for many years and they advertise here on the Forum. Folks can click on the link or Google their web site and go to their FAQ section for more information. I have 96,000 on my Corvette and it still runs like new, uses 1 qt Mobil 1 between changes, usually 7000 miles or so depending on the DIC.
The internet is full of links which contain urban myths and also true information so people must make up their own mind, my intent was just to pass on my personal experiences which include better MPG and increased power with no adverse effects on engine wear.
OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OGC5
I too have increased my mileage considerably (about 24 mpg highway and 19 city (XR AWD) by doing two things. One, I have slowed down. I now drive at 100 kph (62 mph) on the highways and I installed a Scanguage II and pay close attention to my LPH (litres per hour) and LP/100 (litres per 100 kilometres) when driving in the city (i.e. no jackrabbit starts, turn off motor when it is clear that I am going to be stopped for a couple of minutes or more, and so on. I can't believe the difference just a few simple steps make.
I use 87 octane. I am partial to ethanol (up to 15%) but its use certainly does reduce the miles per gallon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote