SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
charcoal
charcoal is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default NA SOHC w/SAFC-II for increased mpg?

I'm baaaack...
with the price of gas going nuts, I'm wanting to score a higher mpg.
Geez, who doesnt??
There was a long thread about heating the intake air to nail a boost in mileage but it seemed to boil down to actually fooling the IAT and pcm into enriching the fuel mixture. Sorry
Did I miss anything else?

A while back I penned a post about the SAFC-II and got crapped on for it, but I'm persistent in my belief that through the use of a SAFC or similar device, operating just rich of stoch will yield a 10% or greater fuel economy without risking engine damage. I suspect that the OEM programmed PCM mappings contain a safety margin to exploit because the 1.9 saturn motor seems to run lean as evidenced by the presence of excessive carbon residues in the exhaust tract regardless of engine condition or driving style.

When I begin the testing phase I will have more to report on this. I'm considering water injection to offset these risks but in the final analysis, gains usually come at some risk.

I am not interested in whipping the pants off other drivers, just in accomplishing 45mpg (or more as I'm optimistic).

Sorry for the long post, but my questions are:
-and I feel kinda dumb asking this because it seems so obvious:
1. The SAFC can alter the fuel quantity to increase power by causing the pcm to deliver more fuel, but can it be programmed to deliver less?
The SAFC is capable of multiple program storage and retrieval capability, can programs be changed on-the-fly, in other words, given a changing driving condition, can an alternate programmed response map be loaded and executed at any time? RTFM yeah, but any glitches?

2. The WBO2 sensor, must it be a 5 wire sensor? Will any WBO2 4 or 5 wire sensor suffice? Any preferences?
Does anyone know of the life expectancy of the heated (5) wire sensor?

Great Forum!

Thanks in advance.
Charcoal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charcoal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charcoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links