SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
mpasiuk
mpasiuk is on a distinguished road

Default Oil Burn Smoke. Solved. what I did.

Hello everyone, I own a 1999 SL2 DOHC 1.9L w/ 303K miles(synthetic oil every 3K miles since 103K miles, when I bought it). Runs perfect but started burning oil/smoking about 6 months ago. The smoke got so bad that I'd choke the poor workers at the fast food places when I went through the drive through.
Smoke: occurred during idle, but much worse when accelerating from a stop.
Oil Burn: Started at 1 qt/1500 miles and got to the point 1qt/300 miles.

I read all the forum posts and they were a great help. I figured I'd return the favor by posting my results.

What I did:
First tried the MMO, per the posts I read. Removed all the spark plugs, poured 2 oz per cylinder and let it sit for 2 hours. Afterwards, I placed rags in each of the spark plug holes then cracked to remove any MMO left in the cylinders. Re-installed the spark plugs and started the car. Initially, huge amount of smoke resulted from the exhaust, but after it cleared I didn't notice any improvement form the oil burn smoke or reduction in oil consumption (drove the car 5K miles)
Tried this twice.

I decided to change the valve stem seals. Things I did:
1. remove the timing chain, cam sprockets, and camshafts. (I'm not going to get into detail on how to do this since there are many posts. I will tell you about the tricking things I encountered. a) Crankshaft pulley bolt: I bought an electric impact gun and bolt came off instantly. b) timing chain cover: make sure all bolts removed (including two in the middle of the over.. 8 mm bolt and 10mm bolts). Also take your time break free the timing cover.
2. Once everything removed(Timing chain, cam sprockets, and camshaft), I used 1/4" dia nylon rope to keep the valves from dropping. Lowered the pistons I was working on, fed the nylon rope through the spark plug and once filled rotated the crank until it stopped moving and rope pushing against the valves. Next I used Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remove/Install tool (amazing tool!) Made removing/installing the valve springs super easy. Used Betooll HW0107 Valve Stem Pliers to remove the seals (again super easy). Then repeated the process to the other 3 cylinders.
3. installed a new timing chain/cover (followed directions on posts I found on the this forum)
4. Re-installed all accessories.(tensioner, idler pulley, power steering pump, crank pulley).

Result NO more smoking!! Success. I just finished this job so not sure on the improve of the oil burn, but I'm sure back to a normal amount.

I know I left out some details, but if you have any questions please let me know. I know a lot of people suffer from oil burn and smoking. I hope my results help a little.

Job just takes time, but relatively cheap. seals just $20 from Rockauto. tools $70.

Good Luck Everyone!
Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpasiuk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpasiuk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Oil Burn Smoke. Solved. what I did.

Thanks Mike-

I think the higher-mileage cars lose more oil thru the valve-stem seals.
Mine got worse after 200kMiles...

Thanks for calling out the tools used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
mpasiuk
mpasiuk is on a distinguished road

I hope this thread helps someone. My oil burn increased steadily after 200k.

Quick update: after a few thousand miles of driving, still no smoking and oil burn went back to a respectable 1 at every 1500 miles. Before the valve stem seal replacement it was 1 at every 300 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpasiuk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpasiuk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

That's an awesome first post!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I changed the valve stem seals on mine and didn't get any improvements. I ended up swapping a j/y engine that was low mileage.

The big difference is that valve stem leaks tend to happen as the car sits so smoke when you start. Piston ring leaks tend to happen under load. So if you see smoke on acceleration its definitely not the valves.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote