SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
TheBuild
TheBuild is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel Line

I have a pin hole size leak in my fuel line. Unfortunately, it is in the section running from the tank to the first quick disconnect by the rear wheel. I assume this means I have to drop the tank to repair. Is there a way to just patch this type of fuel line?

97 sl2 5spd
02 Dakota 4wd
13 CR-V

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheBuild's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheBuild reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: Fuel Line

I gotta ask... what caused this "pin-hole"? If it was rust, there is hardly any point in patching the first one, more will follow soon enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
TheBuild

Not sure what caused the hole. I just discovered it after inspecting due to a hard start issue.

I thought the fuel lines are plastic.

97 sl2 5spd
02 Dakota 4wd
13 CR-V

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheBuild reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Ha, right you are! I simply forgot and locked onto rust because of the more frequent threads regarding rusting brake lines.

Can you get a split piece of fuel line and a band-clamp around it? There are also double-ended hose barbs that can be shoved in after cutting the line completely. Those are a "universal" part from the FLAPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

How did you find it? Did you have a hissing noise?

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
TheBuild

The car was hard to start one morning and I could smell gas. I got out and looked under the car and could see a stream/mist of fuel coming off the fuel line.

Has anyone had experience/success with repairing this type of fuel line with the double ended barb solution?

97 sl2 5spd
02 Dakota 4wd
13 CR-V

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
billr
Master Member

Yes, I used one some years back on a '95; back at the tank where the line comes down from the top of the tank. Access was pretty limited, it was tough to shove the barbs in, no clamps are used. I probably used a heat-gun to soften the line. This is not a place where I would use a torch! It wasn't as elegant a repair as I would like, the ID through the double-barb is quite a bit smaller than the fuel line, but it has been working fine for many years now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
TheBuild

Does anyone have any experience with this type of connector?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-509...origin=keyword

97 sl2 5spd
02 Dakota 4wd
13 CR-V

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
sedativechunk
sedativechunk is on a distinguished road

I'm your guy for fuel lines! Yes, that part looks great, as long as that is the right size line for your Saturn's fuel lines. If it's just one tiny spot then go for it; clip off just where the damaged piece of line is and reconnect with the union. Much better than replacing the entire line. A second approach would be to buy a tiny piece of steel line with beaded ends on each side and use quick disconnects on it. The union is a simpler approach.

There are patch-related tricks to fuel systems, although none are permanent. For a fuel filler neck on my Chevy truck, I used PBE-rated gas line repair tape and PBE rated paste with it, which prevented gasoline from leaking out my filler neck. But I wouldn't recommend something like that on one of the lines that are constantly under pressure. Fuel lines don't have a lot of pressure but enough to cause problems.

Anything with fuel you have to be careful, because it's highly corrosive. I wouldn't recommend clamping a piece over it either like the suggestion above. That works great for steel lines, but I wouldn't do it on a rubber line ever because the clamps aren't going to grip over the rubber lines; at worst, it will pinch/damage them or cause fuel to back up especially if they are pinched closed, causing damage to your fuel pump or worse, the fuel injectors.

EDIT: Oh yeah, remember to depressurize your fuel system whatever you do. Disconnect fuse to fuel pump, start it a couple times to depressurize. When it's repaired, reconnect fuse, turn key on and off twice (just so your electronics and pump start, don't turn the engine yet till the third try). This will reprime the fuel system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
TheBuild

I finally got some time to work on the Saturn. I used the dorman part I linked to above. I used the 5/16 size. Super easy to use and no leak after idling for 5 minutes. Thanks for all the help.

97 sl2 5spd
02 Dakota 4wd
13 CR-V

REWARD EXCELLENCE!