SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
xxZombifiedxx
xxZombifiedxx is on a distinguished road

Default my sl2 acceleration is badd!!

Hey guys. I saw a lot of people posting here with questions so decided to see what the experts here have to say about my car.
I've had a 99 Saturn SL2 with 133k miles that recently started having problems when accelerating. It feels like the car is struggling a bit to get up to speed and its' worse uphills.

I changed my spark plugs before getting a code p0140 which is O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2.
My question is, can an O2 sensor cause this performance issue.
I used a scan tool and noticed that sensor 2 stays around 0.445.

I also have some rattling noise sometimes so I wasn't sure how do I test if this is the O2 sensor or my catalytic converter.
Any help is appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xxZombifiedxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xxZombifiedxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xxZombifiedxx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: my sl2 acceleration is badd!!

plugged cat can do this.
are you in a state that inspects the exhaust system and might know if you gutted or removed the cat?
As far as the O2, you can remove it and drive a little with it out and see if there is an immediate boost in power (there sure will be a boost in NOISE!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Was the original coolant sensor replaced (temperature gauge needle hovering over the 1/4 mark?). Original round nosed plastic ones crack, flat nosed brass one corrects this problem. You may have to replace the thermostat when the rubber seal melts from the faulty sensor.

2-Downstream O2 sensor output are always steady values to reflect catcon efficiency. If the catcon disintegrated (rattling), cat guts may block exhaust flow. Removing the upstream O2 sensor as suggested and driving will either show a definite increase in engine power or remain the same.

The downstream O2 sensor checks catcon efficiency. The upstream or precat O2 sensor is the important one as its used to help with the EFI/emissions control systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

If you are pulling the upstream O2, either keep the drive brief or rig up something to block the hot exhaust from melting rubber/plastic in front of it.

ECTS and its connector is a good first place to start. There's still a few cars where this has not been replaced.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
Budsaturn
Budsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutBudsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutBudsaturn has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL

Had the same problem with a 95. It was the TPS. Then to make it worse I
bought one on line that was just as bad. Had the local Chevrolet dealer order
me one from GM. It worked perfect at once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Budsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Budsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Budsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote