SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #81
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Re: Cylinder Head Removal - DOHC

Good call on not using oven cleaners... sounds like it's not good for aluminum.

I didn't have as much gunk buildup as I thought... so a pressure wash with carb cleaner should do the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #82
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Whats the torque for the 3 bolts on the fuel injector line to the intake manifold. I've read 22 ft-lb, but that seems too high for those small bolts.

Also, the injector o-rings seem to be in good shape. Any problems with reusing them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #83
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

I re-use O-rings that look and feel good. If any seem a bit worse, put them on the lower end where the worst that would happen is a slight vacuum leak. (I'm assuming these are a type injectors that use the same ring for the fuel and manifold connections).

That 22 ft-lbs. seems kind of high, but I do see that specified for the '91-94. However, you have a '97, so for that I see 89 inch-lbs. What diameter are the screws (the thread OD); and is the female aluminum? If the female is aluminum and the thread 8mm, 22 ft-lbs would be more than I would want to try. There is no critical load on those screws, they just need to be tight enough to not vibrate loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #84
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

When putting the head back on, I'm assuming the alignment holes in the head have a larger bore so they fit over the guide pins easily?.

I had to put in a new guide pin in the block, and it was very tight.

Any tricks to align it? I was thinking about putting head bolts in the two head holes which meet the guide pins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #85
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm still contemplating putting the intake manifold on the head first, then dropping the head in the place.

Just makes it easier torquing those 9 intake bolts.

If it's a real pain to align the head in the pins, then I probably don't want to do it with intake attached.

I'll have 2 extra helpers... probably just need 1 helper though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #86
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

The alignment pins between head and block should have very little clearance. They should be a light press-fit on one end and a "push-fit" on the other; meaning only a couple of pounds force (maximum) should be needed to slip onto the "push" end, but no appreciable radial movement. I would be surprised if there is more than .001" clearance on the looser end. The "push" end is usually tapered to help guide it into the hole, so you should still be able to drop the head in place fairly easily. Again, I installed the intake after, and don't recall any particular problem to do so. Don't fear it will be like the timing cover!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #87
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Got the head on and everything else except the crank pulley, valve cover, and exhaust manifold.

Waiting for timing cover RTV to cure a little more before doing the oil test on the little hole by the crank seal to make sure it drains and is not plugged with RTV. What is the purpose of that little hole, and if its clogged what will happen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #88
billr
Master Member

Sorry, I don't remember any such hole; can't help you any.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #89
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

The head went on easy... just "fell" in place. I did leave the intake manifold on.

The timing chain is quite tight now... no slack. I wonder if that will cause the guides to wear faster. I still am amazed that the plastic guides can hold up so long with the chain rubbing against it. I guess that's the purpose of the oil... but still... I would not expect it. I hope the new guides hold up.... the guides are just black plastic.

I had to put the chain on the sprockets first, then put on the guide that pivots and then put on the tensioner. I was off a chain link the first attempt, and had to redo it.

Sure is a lot of laborious work. But I have enjoyed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #90
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Got it all back together and it's running good and I got power back. I guess it needed a new timing set after all because I hear no occasional rattle in the engine bay when I bump the RPM.

When I first started it, it was clacking for awhile, then went away. I haven't heard it come back. (perhaps an initial oil flow issue or a lean condition??.. see below)

I had a miss-hap however when I took it for a test drive. After I primed the fuel system and got it running... I didn't detect any fuel leaks. On my way back after a 5 minute test drive, the fuel line connection was shot at the rail and was leaking fuel. So I know I didn't have enough fuel pressure on my way back from the test drive. It was smoking somewhat... not sure if that was from the fuel vaporizing or from running lean or both. The exhaust manifold seemed too hot. Uh-oh!

I don't want to burn a valve when I just got a valve job done!!!!

Oh well, I put a new fuel filter in and now everything is fine. The fuel filter doesn't line up with the clamp at the brace to the intake manifold... so right now it isn't braced... I don't think that will be a problem.

Valve cover gasket leaks a little, so I will need to add RTV to the gasket like I did last time.

Apart from that, its running good.

Thanks for everyone's help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #91
billr
Master Member

Don't worry about hurting anything with the fuel pressure possibly being low. The exhaust manifold probably seemed "hot" because of normal smells/smoke when an engine is run for the first time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #92
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Well done!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #93
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Check out my old head gasket... I sprayed it with my garden hose and definitely found some corrosion on the bottom side (Head Gasket 2) around the coolant ports. Is that to be expected, or an attribute to Dexcool? All I ran in this thing on was DexCool and I drained and refilled about every 30-40k with 50% distilled water. But the corrosion looks like it never made it pass the boundary... so I guess its good.

By the way, I know my exhaust manifold was hot... it was a lighter rust color after my test drive... once it cooled down it was the normal rusty brown. Yikes!!

My heart sank when I saw it... but "everything" seems fine now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeadGasket (1).jpg (207.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HeadGasket (2).jpg (207.8 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #94
billr
Master Member

You may hear horror stories about Dexcool, but that old gasket looks like it might have made it another 23 years if the head didn't have to come off because of the valve. Good enough life for me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!