SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Default low rpm misfire

Hoping someone here has encountered this before...I have a low rpm-under 2200rpm- misfire. Occassionally it will stumble at idle. Above 2200 it runs fine, any gear, no matter how much throttle you give it. Runs right to redline and pulls good. Started a day after changing the plugs.

Last week, midway home it started to misfire- at all rpm-. Pulled over ,plugged in my bluetooth adapter, run Torque on my phone...check engine light wasn't on...but it registered a P0300 code- misfire on multiple cylinders. Drove home gingerly, and started taking stuff apart- figured it was the coil or ICM. Found the plugs looking very worn(40K on them) and the little iridium?? tip missing entirely on the far left plug. Huge gap. Didn't look any further- put in new plugs and it was just fine for the next 24 hours. Any RPM...ran great. Next day on the way home it picked up a very low RPM stumble. Doesn't light the CEL, but I can feel it.

2005 VUE 2.2 Manual 109K. Suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: low rpm misfire

I don't have a 2.2 but have read many misfire posts which indicate new plugs (especially if other than recommended) can "whack" the coil packs.

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I don't have a 2.2 but have read many misfire posts which indicate new plugs (especially if other than recommended) can "whack" the coil packs.
So...am I looking at replacing the coil packs? Or just plugs that the coil packs can live with?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowme View Post
So...am I looking at replacing the coil packs? Or just plugs that the coil packs can live with?
Let me say - I have trouble understand the 2.2 waste spark ignition system!!!

Something ate-up one of your sparkplugs ... might have been a bad plug but might have been something in the coil (or even ICM).

I understand there are two coils - one for cylinder 1 and 4 and another for 2-3.

I also understand the ICM determines which pack to fire ... either 1-4 or 2-3.

Either coil pack fires both plugs - but supposedly the coil pack provides most voltage to cylinder in compression cycle - and does so based on circuitry
built into the coil assembly.

So, if 1 and 4 fire at same time - and only cylinder 1 plug had a problem - could it be plug or coil?

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Let me say - I have trouble understand the 2.2 waste spark ignition system!!!

Something ate-up one of your sparkplugs ... might have been a bad plug but might have been something in the coil (or even ICM).

I understand there are two coils - one for cylinder 1 and 4 and another for 2-3.

I also understand the ICM determines which pack to fire ... either 1-4 or 2-3.

Either coil pack fires both plugs - but supposedly the coil pack provides most voltage to cylinder in compression cycle - and does so based on circuitry
built into the coil assembly.

So, if 1 and 4 fire at same time - and only cylinder 1 plug had a problem - could it be plug or coil?
Took everything back apart last night. Wanted to see if I missed something. Far left plug slightly different color than the others...same jug that had the plug with the missing electrode tip...what this means I don't know.it wasn't oily or wet. Put everything back together, taking care to move the odd color plug to a different cylinder...stupidly, now as I think about it, I swapped it for one on the same coil. Took time to hook the boots to the plugs first, then the coils. Started great, ran great for a few miles before I encountered a misfire. Crap. This morning no misfire. Way home.... Not happy when I give it moderate or more throttle at low revs. Brings out the misfire. I'm thinking that its gotta be the ICM..why else the odd behavior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Usually when there is an issue with the icm it dumps two cylinders, most likely cylinders 2 and 3. Being you only have a slight misfire I'm leaning towards the coil pack being the issue. The only other issue I can think of is maybe a partially plugged injector, but I think it would make the engine run bad at higher rpm's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
Usually when there is an issue with the icm it dumps two cylinders, most likely cylinders 2 and 3. Being you only have a slight misfire I'm leaning towards the coil pack being the issue. The only other issue I can think of is maybe a partially plugged injector, but I think it would make the engine run bad at higher rpm's.

What I'm left with is...why is the problem tied to throttle angle and rpm? I can sail right thru my trouble zone with no misfire if I am gentle on the gas. What if its the throttle or some sensor/actuator associated with it.? I can feel a dead spot in the throttle right before it stumbles.Before I disassembled it,I wan it with The intake off...not sure why I did this,but at idle it seemed that the throttle Plate would open slightly right before it stumbled momentarily. Chicken or the egg? I can't tell if I am perceiving that or that it really happens....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
BamboozledByVue
BamboozledByVue is on a distinguished road

Hi Youknowme,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I know this thread is quite old, but I am having the same issue on a 2004 Vue Base with 210k miles.

I have swapped plugs and an O2 sensor and haven't seen any change. Within the last 10k miles I have replaced Plugs, Coils, and ICM to resolve a different misfire issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Bamboozled

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BamboozledByVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BamboozledByVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BamboozledByVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
DrewsBrews
DrewsBrews is a jewel in the roughDrewsBrews is a jewel in the roughDrewsBrews is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Looks like youknowme hasn't posted on the forum for a year so I doubt they will respond.

Most recently I had a random misfire situation that turned out to be just the ICM plug wasn't fully seated.

Other time I've had a misfire (actually total ignition cutout that would cause the engine to die) was caused by a bad ground on a wire that terminates at a bolt to the engine from the wire loom that goes around the front of the engine. The location is below the oil filter. In my case I only had to cut the ring terminal off and re-crimp on another. Try wiggling the wire loom or the specific wire while idling to see if it makes it stumble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewsBrews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewsBrews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewsBrews is offline   Reply With Quote