SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

Default 04 Vue 2.2L - Ticking sound at idle

OK, this one has me worried and stumped at the same time. My 04 Vue 2.2L FWD 5 spd has a little over 106k on it and up until today, has been problem free.

When it's below a quart of oil, you will hear the valve train at start up when cold, then it goes away within 30 seconds, so I know that noise. This noise is different. It sounds like an A/C compressor that needs a bearing, but not as loud. I heard it this morning when parking the Vue after a short, but strenuous commute from home to the train station. While waiting at the light, I saw the needle for the coolant move to the center. It's never in the center except on really hot days when in traffic. It wasn't hot this morning and I didn't wait in that much traffic, so I found that odd. The A/C wasn't on either. Anyway, when I pulled into the lot, I noticed the sound. At first, I thought it was the valve train, but I know what the valve train sounds like, as I said before. Then I thought maybe the timing chain, but I would think that would have other problems that accompany it, like loss of power and bad idle.

When I started it up to go home tonight, it started right up, idled fine, no loss of power and drove like normal. I drove to the local parts store where I added a quart of oil and 16 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil. I drove home from the parts store and again, it drove normal, but the sound was still there even though I could barely hear it with the window open (I was listening for it). Here's the kicker, when I get home, I park in the driveway, close my window and the sound is louder in the cabin with the window closed. It sounds louder in the cabin with the windows shut than under the hood. So now I'm stumped. What could this be?

The sounds does not get louder with the higher revs while driving. I would think a valve train problem would be screaming as you drive. I have no warning lights and like I said, it drives fine. Could a bad accessory drive pulley or heat shield cause this? I'm hoping has experienced this and can give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------
2004 Saturn Vue FWD 5 spd
2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 04 Vue 2.2L - Ticking sound at idle

[QUOTE=ejscarfo]OK, this one has me worried ...
When it's below a quart of oil, you will hear the valve train at start up when cold......] "
The fact that that you know what the valve train sounds like when the engine is below a quart of oil- has me worried.

YOu shouldn't let the ECOTEC get more than 1/2qt low. Any more is just poor attention to maintenance.

Post a vid of the noise so we can better judge, but there're probably good odds that your valve train is on it's way out.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote