SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
m3rcury
m3rcury is on a distinguished road

Default Specific question on Saturn 97 SL2

I currently have some questions regarding my SAturn 97 SL2. (auto trans)

1. Is it a good idea to buy a radiator from other places other than dealer? IT's way too expensive there..last time they quoted it would cost $500 to replace my radiator (it's currently cracking now). I found a place that sells Saturn SL2 97 radiator for $99.95 at carpartswholesale.com (something like that)..even after shipping and tax it's still cheaper (around $117) than what i can find around here (AutoZone has the lowest price so far $135 after tax)

2. Why is my valve gasket cover keep leaking? Last time it was leaking was 2-3 years ago and got it fixed already. I suspected the dealer didn't do a good job on it that's why. And also right and left axle seal is leaking too...
is it really necessary to fix those? If I don't fix it, what'll happen?

3.I will need to flush out my power steering fluid and wonder if any kind of power steering fluid will be fine to replace the current one. or is there any specific brand that i need to use for my saturn? last time the dealer wrote down the brand name Johnsen's power steering fluid.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m3rcury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m3rcury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m3rcury is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Specific question on Saturn 97 SL2

First, the radiator. Aftermarket radiators are fine. They are not hard to change. I am sure there are "how to" threads on this board that will explain in detail how to do it.

Next the cam/valve cover. They leak. The biggest reason repairs fail is not cleaning the surfaces thoroughly. This can not be emphasized enough. I would say the single most important step in this job is cleaning. The next is proper torque of the bolts.

The power steering fluid issue. I don't think brands are as big an issue as getting the right fluid. Your owners manual will specify the type of fluid to use. It will most likely state a GM part number but it should also give a specification number. Fluids meeting this specification will be fine. Most aftermarket brand fluids at most part stores list on the back what vehicles such as GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda etc, and what specifications they meet.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
m3rcury
m3rcury is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I have no idea bout cars and i prefer to let a mechanic who knows what he's doing to replace my radiator. anyone knows what's the reasonable price to install radiator?
also I read about cleaning the valve gasket, but for someone like me who don't know about car part, I don't think it'll be wise for me to try do it on my own

thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m3rcury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m3rcury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m3rcury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I can appreciate hesitancy on the radiator. I will say however the cam cover
is REAL easy. If you can change your own oil, you can do the cam cover gasket. But you know your own ability. I don't know what to expect the labor costs to be to change the radiator. I have replaced two of them on my Saturns in less than an hour so if they want to charge very much more than an hour or so labor I would think it is too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

A hard part of chaning radiators on auto trans cars is the transmission cooler lines.

See this thread where a newbie pulled it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rcury
Thanks for the info. I have no idea bout cars and i prefer to let a mechanic who knows what he's doing to replace my radiator. anyone knows what's the reasonable price to install radiator?
also I read about cleaning the valve gasket, but for someone like me who don't know about car part, I don't think it'll be wise for me to try do it on my own

thanks again

either get a haynes manual and do both projects in your driveway (or garage) or turn in your man-card NOW!!!

i've done both and neither one was particularly difficult. awkward maybe, but real easy. make sure you buy enough coolant to fill it back up, tho.

i would think an amateur could have both jobs done in less than 3 hours, start to finish. it took me about 30 min for the valve cover gasket (mostly cleaning) and about 45 min to do the radiator. both were done in my driveway. i'm not a professional mechanic. you can do this!

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote