SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
RepairGuyT
RepairGuyT is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Dizzy Both Low and High Beam Headlights (left and right) not working

Hi All,

I'm new here. Just signed up today.

I am having a problem with both Headlights. High and low beams not working. Here is a little history.

Hurricane Michael broke the driver side front window and the dash got rain on it. I have successfully repaired a couple of dash related problems, but have not been able to repair the headlights.

What I have done to remedy the problem using the shotgun method.
1. Replaced the headlamps.
2. Checked fuses and relays (not entirely sure that I checked all)
3. Replaced the switch in the dash.
4. Replaced the daytime sensor on the upper part of the dash.

So far, I have not been able to affect the symptoms at all. They stubbornly remain the same. No headlights no matter what I do.

Can anyone assist me in troubleshooting this problem? I just need a little guidance in what to check next and the procedure for troubleshooting the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RepairGuyT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RepairGuyT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RepairGuyT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RepairGuyT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Both Low and High Beam Headlights (left and right) not working

You could check basic wiring and fused lamp circuits by removing HDLP relays and putting a jumper wire (paper clip works good) across sockets 30 and 87.

You can identify these sockets by checking diagram printed on relay.

I would start with HDLP LO Relay (relay 7) and then HDLP HI (relay 8).

If all lamps light I'd probably check/test/replace turn signal multifunction switch (you mentioned changing the dash mounted HDLP switch).

I have attached HDLP wiring diagrams and you can PM me or repost with any questions.

BTW ... You didn't mention DRL status ... do the low-beams light in daytime with reduced intensity when transmission is shifted from Neutral? It appears DRL wouldn't be affected by the lighting multifunction stalk.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - HL Controls.pdf (45.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - HL Fuse Circuit.pdf (39.8 KB, 8 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
RepairGuyT

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
You could check basic wiring and fused lamp circuits by removing HDLP relays and putting a jumper wire (paper clip works good) across sockets 30 and 87.

You can identify these sockets by checking diagram printed on relay.

I would start with HDLP LO Relay (relay 7) and then HDLP HI (relay 8).

If all lamps light I'd probably check/test/replace turn signal multifunction switch (you mentioned changing the dash mounted HDLP switch).

I have attached HDLP wiring diagrams and you can PM me or repost with any questions.

BTW ... You didn't mention DRL status ... do the low-beams light in daytime with reduced intensity when transmission is shifted from Neutral? It appears DRL wouldn't be affected by the lighting multifunction stalk.

Ok. I finally got time (months later) to address this problem again. Sorry for the extended delay (hurricane Michael recovery in process still). I appreciate your help so far.

DRL's are working normally. Both HDLP LO and HDLP HI tests with jumper between pins 30 -> 87 did not work - lamps do not turn on. I am assuming that the circuit is working properly for the DRL switch to LO beams because when it gets dark both headlamps go out indicating that the switch to LO beam worked.

Any further testing I can do?

Thanks again for your assistance. It is appreciated.

Thanks,

RepairGuyT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RepairGuyT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairGuyT View Post
Ok. I finally got time (months later) to address this problem again. Sorry for the extended delay (hurricane Michael recovery in process still). I appreciate your help so far.

DRL's are working normally. Both HDLP LO and HDLP HI tests with jumper between pins 30 -> 87 did not work - lamps do not turn on. I am assuming that the circuit is working properly for the DRL switch to LO beams because when it gets dark both headlamps go out indicating that the switch to LO beam worked.

Any further testing I can do?

Thanks again for your assistance. It is appreciated.
DRL are powered by different source but since they light it verifies headlamp ground paths are okay.

I suggest you connect voltmeter to socket 30 for relay 7 (HDLP LO) and 8 (HDLP HI) to test for 12volts. Power should be present any time battery is connected.

If power is not available at those points you can check following thumbnail to see how many other circuits might not have 12 volts.

If other circuits are okay you probably need to open Fuse Block - Underhood to determine if wires to relay sockets are broken or corroded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 of 3 Pwr Dist (Edit).jpg (129.1 KB, 4 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
RepairGuyT

2008 VUE 2.4L

Ok. New information. I went back to the beginning and found that I was looking at the wrong relays in the fuse box. Duh. I re-jumpered the correct relays at 30 to 87 and found that I do have headlights when they are jumpered. What should I do if the Hi and Lo beams both work when jumpered?

Thanks in advance for all your patience and help.

Thanks,

RepairGuyT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
RepairGuyT

2008 VUE 2.4L

So, if I need to test the multi-function turn signal switch, how can I do that?

Thanks,

RepairGuyT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!