SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Subframe Rust

Took the 06 in for the clunk that the forum has me thinking is struts and sway bar links. Previous shop suggested those, but didn't have the parts so I went without at the time. Tried a new shop today and they would not work on my car due to rust.

I've searched and see this is somewhat of a common issue for northern cars. I tried to take a few pictures. I'm unsure if this is as bad as they made it to be. Not sure how much I believe because they did not attribute the clunk to the suspension and instead blamed it on exhaust and the frame issues.

I don't want to chase bad money but if this isn't horrendous, everything else is in fairly decent order and it would be worth fixing the front end. I'm at 180k miles for what it's worth.

I tried to get a few pictures. I don't have a jack handy but can probably try from a different angle if these don't give enough info.

What's the consensus on how bad this is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Subframe Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam22 View Post
Took the 06 in for the clunk that the forum has me thinking is struts and sway bar links. Previous shop suggested those, but didn't have the parts so I went without at the time. Tried a new shop today and they would not work on my car due to rust.
SC... Interesting, I posted pictures of my undercarriage in a nearby post,

Oscillating thudding Right Rear

The last place I had mine in discounted the rust & said there was still a lot of metal holding it together as the trailing arms are double layered steel, & the floorboards & cradle were still OK , he suggested to start spraying the undercarriage with transmission fluid or Krown though for winters to buy it some time.

I know its hard to rationalize these repairs, I don't want to put several grand into it as these shops will want to, just to have the seats fall through the floorboards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
SC... Interesting, I posted pictures of my undercarriage in a nearby post,

Oscillating thudding Right Rear

The last place I had mine in discounted the rust & said there was still a lot of metal holding it together as the trailing arms are double layered steel, & the floorboards & cradle were still OK , he suggested to start spraying the undercarriage with transmission fluid or Krown though for winters to buy it some time.

I know its hard to rationalize these repairs, I don't want to put several grand into it as these shops will want to, just to have the seats fall through the floorboards.
I'll take a look at your post. I'm originally from NJ so the car spent 11 winters there. I've had it about 5. I mentally wrestled to convince myself to pay $1k on suspension (I've had rusted brake lines, two wheel bearings, the DRLs stop working, sticky locks, etc this year so starting to not be worth the trouble). Original clutch and shift cables as well so bad luck will have those go after whatever I fix.

Anyway I was good with the suspension since I felt like I had some life left. Refusal to work on it came as a surprise. They didn't offer to tackle the frame and felt other repairs were not worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't look that bad to me, but I can understand their hesitation to work on it. Removing bolts will probably be hell, plus if any of them snap due to corrosion, they're looking at wasted time to remove it and order new bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

I hit the junkyards monthly in mn. After looking at 100ís of MN vues I canít explain why some look great with almost no rust and many look like yours. They have rust prone suspension bits. Thatís life

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL1

If it were me, I'd wire wheel the rust and spray some sort of rust reformer and paint on it to try to slow it down. Then I'd just live with the clunk you are hearing unless a shop tells you its a safety issue.

I say this because last year I spent about $1000 have a shop install new struts, control arms etc on my 1998 Saturn. When I was done, the new struts (Monroe Quickstuts) made more noise than the old ones. Then late in the year another car hit mine and totaled it.

Given the rust and the mileage, I'd just drive it into the ground over the next few years and not dump much money into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman70 View Post
If it were me, I'd wire wheel the rust and spray some sort of rust reformer and paint on it to try to slow it down. Then I'd just live with the clunk you are hearing unless a shop tells you its a safety issue.

Given the rust and the mileage, I'd just drive it into the ground over the next few years and not dump much money into it.
I kind of agree, mine got to the point where I just want to keep it running a while longer, no mechanic can figure out the rhythmical rear knocking, yet none will admit its beyond repair as they want the work & go after low hanging fruit. This vehicle is still costing me more per mile in repairs than any vehicle I had, bearings only lasting a 5K & < 2 years, WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
I hit the junkyards monthly in mn. After looking at 100ís of MN vues I canít explain why some look great with almost no rust and many look like yours. They have rust prone suspension bits. Thatís life
Perhaps what chemistry is used on it locally? I know my area uses very aggressive deicing materials, go another 50 miles they may just use plain salt.

Whatever they use in my locality actually will irritate or burn skin if not washed off.

Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Ha ha, local? MN uses LOTS of salt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Yes, it depends on the locality of what is used & to what extent... people here are not about to slow it up a bit in a snow shower, thus Ohth DOT takes good care of us.

It's a bit more than just salt, although Morton Salt is in my back yard (and below my basement literately), we have been used as guena pigs for aggressive deicing chemistry. They also have used beet juice in the past though a rarity & less caustic. A few weekends ago I used the blue washer fluid at the gas station to clean off the brine residue around the door handles, however I smelled this horrible sulfuric odor which I discounted was coming off ones cat converter in the cold (not unusual) I noted this smell was everywhere on approaching the vehicle, later I noted my skin had burns on it from touching the door handles.

They have been using a brine "Treat" (or Treet") with Radium 226 and Radium 228 in it, they apply this in the anticipation of any precipitation near the freezing mark.

Living in close proximity to an expressway, this substance has been leeching into my basement walls, & up into my garage floor for years now.... as I see what it did to the undercarriage on the Vue, and the concrete in my garage floor, which has never had a salty car parked on it.

My bearings that had been replaced in the winter I have noted do not have a long life, (< 2 years) suspect brine on the chassis possibly getting on the new part & going to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brine deicing road.jpg (73.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IC4IUOMKNBHOHBH4XU5ZASE3D4.jpg (113.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Let's go, Mr. Galilkanolkus. - Copy.jpg (78.4 KB, 4 views)

Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!

Last edited by Bismarck318; 02-27-2020 at 07:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!