SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default The return of P0410

It's back! After 3 months and 6000 miles, my SES came back on with P0410 code. As I am now well versed with this system, I have completed a thorough diagnosis:
1. Air pump runs on cold start for 30 seconds or so
2. Air flow has been verfied by pulling the hose off the diverter valve while air pump is running
3. Vacuum is present at diverter valve actuator during air pump run
4. Removal of air tube shows good exhaust flow from the open hole, and no air from the valve.

So, my question is, can the diverter valve be disassembled, cleaned and restored to operability? I remember this was a rather expensive, dealer only part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: The return of P0410

It should open when you draw a vacuum on it. It is probably just stuck so blow it out and see if you can get it to open. Carb cleaner will help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Thanks - I'll give it a good cleaning and see if I can get it to open again with vacuum applied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Mine is back too.
Changed the ECTS and the EGR valve.
No luck.
Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you are setting a P0410 then the ECTS and/or EGR will not have any direct impact on that code.

Have you run through the richpin video on fixing the system? If everything functions up to injecting air into the manifold port the problem is probably carbon in the 4 small ports into the head from the manifold channel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

No such luck, I'm afraid. I removed and disassembled the diverter valve. The passive, check valve section was reasonably clean and the flappers moved with ease. The actuated side was easy to open with a finger, and sprung back closed, but does not open with vacuum applied. So, the actuator is bad, and this does not appear to be serviceable.

Guess a trip to pick and pull is in order, although I saw a diverter valve at an online supplier for $18. No photo though, and since the dealer wants $140 for the part, I am suspicious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

2121000 is the part number, check here.
Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
Your local dealers - http://www.partsvoice.com/

GM Parts Direct will sell you one for a bit less than 1/2 that price delivered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Thanks OldNuc. Could I trouble you to recheck that p/n? When I search it at gmpartsdirect the search comes up empty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Never mind - found that there is one more '0' in the p/n elsewhere on this site. Part is ordered and on the way. Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I seem to be having trouble with Zeros recently....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Diverter valve arrived from gmpartsdirect yesterday for about $65 including shipping. I installed it last night, and the SES went off during the commute to work this morning (I let it self-correct on purpose to make sure there were no other codes hiding under the P0410).

Thanks again OldNuc for the p/n and suggested source.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Put the system on the 20,000 mile carbon removal program and the diveter will last longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Put the system on the 20,000 mile carbon removal program and the diveter will last longer.
What is the "the 20,000 mile carbon removal program"

????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take the hard tube/ rubber hose to air pump and diverter valve of the car and clean them. Start engine with the hard pipe removed to blow out any accumulated carbon from the manifold. Clean the EGR at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Quote:
Take the hard tube/ rubber hose to air pump and diverter valve of the car and clean them. Start engine with the hard pipe removed to blow out any accumulated carbon from the manifold. Clean the EGR at the same time.
OK, I was just not aware that procedure had a name, LOL. Time for an acronym? 20000 MCRP? LOL

I did that about 5000 miles ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is one of those things that you do not see listed but you discover you need to do it or you end up replacing parts and disassembling more than you wanted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

awesome tip.

I already knew about regular EGR cleaning and my 02 head is practically new (cleaned manifold too).

But I never thought about cleaning up the diverter valve preventively.

.... Adds project to list...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Clean the EGR at the same time and blow out the manifold and EGR port. Just remove the EGR and the pipe from the diverter to the exhaust manifold and start it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
rbar
rbar is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Still getting to know my latest addition, the 2001 SC2.
On top of wheel bearing noise, fuel gauge always reading empty, and a almost non-existant ignition key/cylinder problem...that had a rather miracle cure this morning... ), even though it was not showing a maintenance light, I put the code reader on it so something would not sneak up on me.
IT CAME UP with this PO410 code every time.

My other saturns did not have this tube running to the exhause manifold...
Is that what I need to disconnect and blow out? In addition to cleaning the EGR valve? Where is this pesky little air pump?

Is there a one stop link for this procedure over in the HOW TO section? If so, I did not look far enough...
Thanks!

RBar

Quote:
Clean the EGR at the same time and blow out the manifold and EGR port. Just remove the EGR and the pipe from the diverter to the exhaust manifold and start it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Search YouTube for richpin06a saturn P0410 and follow the instructions to the letter. If that does not fix it then remove the exhaust manifold and clean out the ports and use new gaskets when yo put it back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!