SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Best lube for drum brake adjuster? Is there anyway to test rear wheel speed sensors?

Regular brake caliper grease? White lithium grease? Sil-glyde?

I know it's not going to work regardless, but figure there is still a best practice. (and I already have all three.)

And since my ABS is activating at low speeds, I'd like to test my wheel speed sensors. The autoshop I brought it to recently specifically said, it had to do with the rear wheels. I'm going to test the front wheels with a multimeter, but assuming I don't find anything wrong. Do I just have to replace the rear hubs? If that's the case I'd like to do it before redoing my rear brakes.

Is there a recommended rear hub I should use? and do I replace both sides at the same time probably?

Thanks

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 07-25-2014 at 08:21 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Best lube for drum brake adjuster? Is there anyway to test rear wheel speed senso

Do not ever lube any internal drum brake part with any liquid lube or grease. Dry lubes are to be avoided as well.

Replace both rear hubs and the only way to test sensors properly is with an oscilloscope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2
Default Re: Best lube for drum brake adjuster? Is there anyway to test rear wheel speed senso

i have been using Eze Slide from Kleen Flo for years on both my cars, and customers cars and not had any problems with sliders as yet, just have to make sure to keep any traces of it out of our body shop thought due to the silicone . as far as the speed sensor, the only way to really test them is with a scan tool, as i have had the meter out ok.. but at low speed the scan tool will drop from 5mph directly to 0 this will cause the ABS to kick in when not needed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Are your customers intelligent enough to figure out that the present of any lube on the adjuster is the reason it will not function? I doubt it as the majority of people never operate the brake system in a manner that will even cause it to attempt to function as designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Good point OldNuc (about customers not reversing and hitting the e-brake to adjust the shoes properly).

I'm guessing my elm 327 clone will not read Wheel Speed Sensors? I searched and saw it doesn't read ABS, but am not sure how if the WSS are part of the ABS system or not...?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From the service manual;
Lubricate the following components:
  • The adjuster assembly -- Apply to the threads of the screw and the inner diameter face of the socket.
  • The adjuster lever surfaces that rub on the brake shoe web
  • The backing plate at the six raised shoe contact pads
  • The park brake lever pin and the surfaces that contact the brake shoe web

If the star adjusters aren't lubed, moisture may corrode and cause seizure. With some lubrication, star wheel adjustment is just another chore done during brake inspection. Or replace seized adjusters from corrosion that should have been lubed. Your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (95.7 KB, 38 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post
Good point OldNuc (about customers not reversing and hitting the e-brake to adjust the shoes properly).

I'm guessing my elm 327 clone will not read Wheel Speed Sensors? I searched and saw it doesn't read ABS, but am not sure how if the WSS are part of the ABS system or not...?
No it will not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Or, you can operate the brakes as they were designed to be operated and the auto adjusters will function as originally designed without any lube, take your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
From the service manual;
  • The adjuster assembly -- Apply to the threads of the screw and the inner diameter face of the socket.

If the star adjusters aren't lubed, moisture may corrode and cause seizure. With some lubrication, star wheel adjustment is just another chore done during brake inspection. Or replace seized adjusters from corrosion that should have been lubed. Your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
From the service manual;

Always been my drum brake SOP ( on whatever vehicle)to grease these points very sparingly with a high-temp brake grease.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One Beta tester decided to reinvent the wheel (going against service manuals) by replacing a stock alternator with a high output one not designated for his car, resulting in cooking his battery and possible damage to electronics. Going outside recommended service manual procedures is just a recipe for becoming another Beta tester.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Many of the manuals that date from the era of the self adjusting drum brake specifically caution against lubing the adjuster.

Do what you want and I will continue to do what I and many others have found that works. Check the package insert for most adjusters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Really? "Era"? A 2002 service manual is in a era? You couldn't be more wrong............nowhere does it mention not to use lube as it would be going against the very reason for the procedures outlining lubrication. Again, your made up 'wisdom' is just that. Personally I prefer to pass on service manual information appropriate to the discussion and refrain from made up procedures.

Maybe this site is all wrong; http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/ic80560.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edited page.jpg (158.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 07-25-2014 at 02:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The era of the all wheel self adjusting brake.

You keep slathering them with grease and oil if you want, not my problem. The OP asked what to use and as far as I am concerned the correct answer is nothing. I am well aware of what is in many present day manuals and I am also well aware what is in manuals from the 40s and 50s when drum brakes were on all 4 corners of every US made car.

I have copies of those manuals also so you can save your time and bandwidth posting copies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Funny, OldNuc, I had you figured for a Sta-LubeSyntheticBrakeGrease kinda guy

I've never had a problem using synthetic brake grease. FOlks would certainly have a problem if they thought they could use regular chassis grease as a substitute: it can't handle the temperatures; will flow/ burn; affect seals and brake linings.
Synthetic brake grease has none of these issues.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Billysvue, that's kind of why I was asking. The guy at NAPA told me (the last time I worked on my brakes) that I should not use synthetic brake grease because it doesn't work as well when it gets cold (VT winters). Now most of the time the car is here in Jersey so it probably wouldn't be a problem, but he had recommended white lithium grease as the better alternative. And I just asked about Sil-gylde since I bought some for my front brakes.

I won't go lithium grease again though, after just PB Blaster-ing my drums (so they could soak overnight) they came off easily after 5 minutes with a small sledge. Clearly they weren't adjusted/ing properly.

Anyway hearing two sides of the debate, I'll do some more googling tonight.

P. S. Lol after just reading the "MAP sensor testing" thread over in general for the first time last night, I figured there maybe problems when you both (OldNuc/fdryer) replied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

I would almost guarantee the sensor causing a low speed ABS activation is on one of your front wheels and is due to a crack in the reluctor wheel that it reads. Need to get under it with a good light and slowly turn it to see which side has a crack, which will require a new or used axle replacement. I went thru the whole process of testing all 4 sensors before reading about the relatively common occurrence of a cracked front ring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
No it will not.
Any recommendations on a cheap scanner that read Saturn abs codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano92sl View Post
I would almost guarantee the sensor causing a low speed ABS activation is on one of your front wheels and is due to a crack in the reluctor wheel that it reads. Need to get under it with a good light and slowly turn it to see which side has a crack, which will require a new or used axle replacement. I went thru the whole process of testing all 4 sensors before reading about the relatively common occurrence of a cracked front ring.

Ok thanks, I'm going to check that tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any lube will attract and hold road dirt/dust and brake shoe dust. Most of these are corrosive to some degree or another and do an excellent job of holding moisture. Oil or grease does not prevent rust as it does not exclude oxygen. All you accomplish is to make a nice porous goo to bind up the mechanism and cause rust/corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

That makes sense especially after I post pictures of my brake internals in a few...dusty as hell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!