SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
dude33333
dude33333 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Tire rubbing strut when braking

I swapped the 15" alloys from my sl2 to my sc1 before I sold the sl2 for cheap.

Now the tire is rubbing on the front driver's side strut only while braking.

I've tried pumping the tire all the way up, and adjusted the camber as much as I could, seemed to make a difference for a few miles then it starts happening again.

What the heck is going on? Frustrated because of course I'm trying to "upgrade" the sc1 and end up causing problems!
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dude33333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dude33333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dude33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Tire rubbing strut when braking

What tire size are you running? I have 15" steel wheels on my SC1 with 195/60R-15 tires and never had a rubbing issue.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
dude33333

1995 SC2

185 65 15 on alloys. Never any problems when they were on the sl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dude33333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If camber is correct then it's time to put a straightedge on the strut and knuckle. If what's bent isn't obvious then compare everything to the other side.

I've seen different size/length control arms...if the "bad" side has been replaced it's possible it got a short part and somehow the issue didn't show up with the 175/70R14 tires.

Stock S-Series parts don't cause problems on Stock S-Series unless the stock S-Series is broken...lol

My 1st S-Series, a '97 SC1 came with 185/65R15's on alloy wheels from the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
dude33333

1995 SC2

Thank you for the reply, I guess I'll have to take it apart and inspect a little more carefully. Maybe I can slot the knuckle a little more?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

A well lit clear picture of the back side with the tire on would really help in this situation so we can help you further. There are camber/caster bolts you can buy, but I wouldn't try to slot the steering knuckle hole further if that's what you're talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have a tire rubbing strut problem, you should see shiny paint where the tire sidewall rubs and polishes the strut or shiny steel where paint was rubbed off. Do you see a spot on the strut or not? If not and there is no evidence of tire rubbing marks anywhere in the wheel well, you may be describing brake issues. Removing the wheel and inspecting calipers thoroughly for uneven wear of pads or lack of periodic brake maintenance may result in sticking caliper slide pins and other problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote