SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Rear shocks...

I noticed my OEM rear shocks were leaking. I ordered a set of Monroe's from Amazon to replace them.

It was horrifying to see how cheap the factory shock was. The top half was plastic. The Monroe shock easily had twice the damping action and was about 50% wider than the OEM shocks.

The ride is much improved over the OEM shock. Quiet smooth and well controlled.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Rear shocks...

More info on the Monroe Reflex shocks...

Reflex Shock Absorber
The Monroe Reflex® truck shock absorber with the patented Impact Sensor™ Technology combines specially tuned valving with a Fluon banded piston. The Impact Sensor™ valve has the ability to sense acceleration to improve the handling, safety, and overall ride characteristics of sport-utility vehicles, mini-vans and light trucks. The Impact Sensor™ base valve will sense a bump in the road and automatically adjust the shock to absorb the impact, leaving the shock with greater control when it is needed. The features of the Monroe Reflex truck shock absorber make it the superior shock for improved handling, safety, and comfort in all road conditions.
Impact Sensor™ Technology: Innovative valving provides greater control for handling, while improving ride comfort.
All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
Full Displaced Valving: Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth comfortable ride.
Fluon Banded Piston: Enhances responsiveness to changing road conditions.
Nitrogen Gas Charged: For improved ride and handling, helps maintain tire to road contact by reducing aeration.
"2 1/4" or 2" Diameter Reserve Tube: Allows more fluid carrying capacity for a cooler running unit.
"1-3/8" Bore: Lower operating pressure than standard 1" bore units.
"5/8" Piston Rod: Heavy duty nitrocarburized rod for long service life.
"Special Seal: "Self-lubricating" fluid seal designed to retain gas without excessive wear or friction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Well, a plastic dust cover has no mechanical function and it's lighter than steel. I've seen them on very expensive shocks. Just curious, did you discover the leaking shocks or did a tech point it out to you? Was the leaking shock oil represented by a fuzzy, black mess on the shock or more like fresh engine oil?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

BobbyP- And plans on replacing the fronts? If so, what's in store?

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2002 Chevy Camaro M6...built by GM, and then rebuilt by me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

No immediate plans on replacing the fronts. I am concerned over the negative comments posted on this forum about the Monroe front struts, I'm not sure what direction I may go when the time comes. RockAuto only lists the Monroe Sensa-Trac strut for the VUE.

A few weeks ago I was closely looking at my left rear tire to see why it was losng about 3 pounds a week of air. I then noticed a shiny oil on the outside of the inner metal tube of the shock. No huge buildups of dirt or sludge, yet.

Granted the plastic outer tube does function primarily as a dust shield, but everything about the OEM shock pales in comparison to the Monroe shock.

The improvement in ride was well worth the $75 for the shocks. It took about 40 mins to replace both of them.

It took more time removing the inner fender liners than replacing the shocks. The same socket that fits the lugs also fits the bolts that hold the shock in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
qwikz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
No immediate plans on replacing the fronts. I am concerned over the negative comments posted on this forum about the Monroe front struts, I'm not sure what direction I may go when the time comes. RockAuto only lists the Monroe Sensa-Trac strut for the VUE.
Yup, that's why I ask. There is also a KYB shock for our car, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to try that next. I think after this set of Monroes, I'll go back to OEM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Granted the plastic outer tube does function primarily as a dust shield, but everything about the OEM shock pales in comparison to the Monroe shock.
'cept maybe the top bushing.

Quote:
It took more time removing the inner fender liners than replacing the shocks.
Fer sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShkBush.JPG (97.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Reflex.JPG (71.5 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
'cept maybe the top bushing.
Chazberry ... looks like the new shock was shipped before it had a chance to develop a full set of muscles.

Is the older, more robust looking shock OEM?

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Is the older, more robust looking shock OEM?
Yep - that's my factory shock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Yep - that's my factory shock.
Thanks sir ... its a sturdy looking beast.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Bobby; you did the right thing. As for the fronts, I did the Monroes there too. They seem to be just about the same as the OEM. I'm now noticing what I think might be spring rate decay in the front and probably will replace the front springs the next time I put struts in it. It still sits at the right height but feels spongy. A good strut can mitigate this to some extent, but it also wears out struts faster.

For the OEM boys, who do you think made the OEM shocks and struts? Hint: it's the guys that now offer them on the aftermarket and it starts with 'M'. I don't think there's any value in paying three prices for the same thing at the dealership. The rear shock bushing is bigger on the OEM for ride/noise concerns. The smaller bushing on the aftermarket shock will most likely provide better damping as more motion is transferred to the shock.

I pray every night for Bilstein Sport shocks and struts for the VUE, but I don't think it's going to happen. I've had them on a couple cars and a Cherokee and they are the best consumer shocks in the world.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
qwikz28

Saxman- I don't know man. I have had these Monroes on for 25k miles now and I hate them. They are not very well balanced, and hitting a bump creates a sort of teeter effect where the front compresses more than the rears, and I find the car crashing on bumps. Even if Monroe manufactured the OEM shocks, they certainly did a better job valving them. I wonder how much of my anger is really just misguided frustration from my wonky steering shaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I hear what you're saying. Now KYB has the struts and shocks as well. Maybe your problem is the springs too. I wouldn't want to go stiffer than stock, but I think a new stock set would be stiffer than these old ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I hear what you're saying. Now KYB has the struts and shocks as well. Maybe your problem is the springs too. I wouldn't want to go stiffer than stock, but I think a new stock set would be stiffer than these old ones.
Can springs lose their spring and not sag?

IDK - but recently ran across procedures to measure Vue trim height.

The attached spec is for 2005 Vue (17" wheels) ... repost if you'd like spec for any other year / wheels.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trim Height Measurement.pdf (31.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Trim Height Specs.pdf (22.4 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!