SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
saturndriver79
saturndriver79 is on a distinguished road

Default Steering column noise

I am wondering if anyone can solve this problem..

My 2004 Saturn Ion has a loud clicking/crunching noise coming from one of the upper bearings in the steering column.

The noise doesn't occur except when turning the wheel quickly as when parking etc and is continuous when reversing.

The noise resembles a bad bearing and not that of the power steering motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturndriver79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturndriver79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturndriver79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Steering column noise

If it's bad, replace it, not sure the question.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I found on my 2003 ION-3 that what I thought might be some gears or mechanical problems inside my steering wheel column was not "inside" the vehicle but was the shaft which connects the steering column to the rest of the steering components in the engine compartment.

Some suggestions had mentioned spraying lubricant into the "boot" in the Firewall where the column's shaft goes into the engine compartment.

I can tell you I had high hopes for that option... but it was a SERIOUS pain in the butt (or back as it were...not very comfortable squeezing under the dash hanging out of the car, and working above/behind my head...) and I was unsuccessful in blindly shooting lube into the space behind the boot.

After I took it into my S.A.P. dealership and they replaced the shaft with it's rusted/failed joint and showed it to me... I realized/noticed where it was easily visible and not too hard to get at it in the engine compartment to spray or slather various kinds of Lube/Grease on it.

I'm glad I replaced it... but the Saturn/GM mechanic that did the work had agreed with me that some Lube/Grease might have masked or lessened the noise for a time. (So the suggestion of Lubing it was good... but the direct method is much easier)

It's not a long term fix but it might let you extend that part's service life a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
saturndriver79

Upon further inspection it seems the noise is coming from the small box on the end of the steering shaft.

I can't imagine that is box is replaceable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturndriver79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturndriver79 View Post
Upon further inspection it seems the noise is coming from the small box on the end of the steering shaft.

I can't imagine that is box is replaceable?
of course, but could be pricey. Keep looking and make sure you can verify this 100%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I agree. Be certain it isn't something simple... that a little grease might calm down.

My first impressions were that the electric steering module on my vehicle's column was bad. When you say "small box on the end of the steering shaft"... do you mean to say one that is tucked up into the dash/column and looks like it could be unbolted and swapped out... if someone had the patience and dexterity to do it?

The steering column does a nice job of transmitting noises so it can be very deceptive. If you haven't tried lubing up the more easily accessible parts... it probably can't hurt and might save you some headaches later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
saturndriver79

Thanks for the replies;

The box I mentioned is located under the hood, past the visible joint on the steering column shaft. I can't be certain especially as you must have the car running to create the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
saturndriver79

Well my steering rack gave up last night while I was driving. I could turn the steering wheel in circles with no response from the wheels.

Lucky I was on a quiet street doing 40km/h.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I am glad you weren't hurt or no one else was hurt. The steering rack is a little pricey, and not too difficult to install if you are inclined. Check other components related to steering and suspension while you are at it. Espescially bushings, endlinks etc(Sway bar bushings).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote