SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
curio
curio is on a distinguished road

Default Removing the ECTS on a 1997 SL1

I'm having trouble removing the cap on the ECTS of my 1997 SL1. Wolfman, in a thread in the "How to Library," but now closed, provided excellent advice. Unfortunately, I cannot find the "ears" he mentions that must by squeezed to remove the cap and related material, thereby providing clear access to the sensor for its removal. The cap is white, has two wires, and appears to be part of a larger, black "sleeve'' that is attached to the outboard portion of the sensor. I don't dare pull to hard on the white cap and cannot get my fingers around the black sleeve because it runs so close to the engine. What am I missing and what should I try next?

Many thanks,

Curio

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to curio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help curio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Removing the ECTS on a 1997 SL1

It can be a tight fit, esp. with large-ish hands. First - do you have the air intake piping out of the way? Some folks even like to remove the battery for better access, but that may be overkill. If you're still having trouble reaching in there and squeezing with your fingers at the same time, try a needle-nose pliers, esp. a pair with the slight bend in the jaws.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Practice removing the air temp sensor connector which has the same connector as the engine coolant temp sensor and is more accessible being located in the airbox inlet.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
curio

My thanks to both of your for your advice. The picture is especially helpful. Before my posting, I had removed both the air intake conduit and the battery. That improved my view of the sensor, but not much else. Will try again tomorrow.

Curio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help curio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Richpin to the rescue, while the SF photo gallery is (STILL ) down!

A little inspection mirror might help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
curio

Success. After practicing on the outside temperature sensor, I removed the cap on the ECTS, with the help of Channel Lock pliers. The angle made all the difference for me. Left the battery in place, but did remove the oil and transmission fluid dipsticks and swung the air hose back to the firewall. Engine was too hot for removing the sensor, but I did loosen it a bit to make sure it was not frozen in place.

With the closure of local Saturn outlets, the closest Saturn parts place is more than an hour away and it wants just under $37 for a genuine Saturn ECTS. The folks there won't mail it; I have to fetch it. So is using the genuine item so important that I should stop complaining and dithering and go get it?

Thanks,

curio

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Nope, most people buy one for $10~$15 at the local auto parts store. As long as the tip is brass, it'll work fine. You may need to put a little teflon tape or pipe dope or whatever it is on the middle threads.

Don't put it in too tight It's a tapered thread and you'll probably notice exposed threads when it's in tight enough - that's normal.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
curio

Thanks for the comforting news and the tip on exposed thread. Now to let the car cool down, buy and install the part.

curio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
curio

Replacement--a BWD product--cost just over $10 at local Advance Auto Parts store. Installation went very smoothly; lost less than 1/3 cup of antifreeze. Hot-engine idle dropped about 200 rpm to about 650 and engine seems to be running more smoothly overall. On to the next issue.

Curio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!