SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
RetiredGuy
RetiredGuy will become famous soon enough

2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default L300 power steering leak

My '04 Saturn L300 began leaking ps fluid about three months ago, and I put off doing a repair because it was winter where I live. When it finally got warm enough to work on the car, I tried to find the leak. I am reasonably sure it was coming from the rubber hose connection where it meets the pump inlet, in front of the engine. The line from the ps fluid tank is a rubber hose from the tank, then a metal line to near the pump inlet, then it's a rubber hose where it connects there. After pulling away the foil insulation that covered that area, I found a small hose clamp on the rubber line, where it meets the pump inlet, and it was loose. The gear was stripped, and I couldn't tighten it, or remove it without using a cordless Dremel type tool. Replacing it with a standard width heater hose clamp made for a stronger connection.

After two days of driving, I have not found any more fluid under the car, and I have read other posts here about what a b---- it is to remove the ps pump. Hopefully, if you have a leak in your ps somewhere, this tip might save you some work and money. I had priced a rebuilt pump, and they run about $160 with a $30 core charge locally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RetiredGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RetiredGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RetiredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links