SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
djking51
djking51 is on a distinguished road

Default Replacing rear quarter panel

I need to replace a rear quarter panel on a '98 SC2. Any procedures would be appreciated, and save me a lot of time figuring it out on my own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djking51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djking51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djking51 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Replacing rear quarter panel

All I know is the rear bumper has to come off and most of the rocker panels too. I didn't take mine off, my buddy did at work (he's a Saturn Tech) and I asked him what has to come off.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

You sure, Uzzy? For the wagon, the "orthodox" procedure is to remove the rear-most two or three fasteners to the rocker panel and lower it, and to loosen the bolts to the bumper cover and slide it backward. But I didn't have to do that with the bumper. I just removed the inner wheel well parts (which you need to do anyway), and reached up into the cavity to get to the bolts/nuts that hold the bumper cover and that part of the quarter panel to the spaceframe. Coupe, of course, may be different.

If it's the driver's side, you'll need to deal with the gas filler, but it should be visually self-explanatory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
You sure, Uzzy? For the wagon, the "orthodox" procedure is to remove the rear-most two or three fasteners to the rocker panel and lower it, and to loosen the bolts to the bumper cover and slide it backward. But I didn't have to do that with the bumper. I just removed the inner wheel well parts (which you need to do anyway), and reached up into the cavity to get to the bolts/nuts that hold the bumper cover and that part of the quarter panel to the spaceframe. Coupe, of course, may be different.

If it's the driver's side, you'll need to deal with the gas filler, but it should be visually self-explanatory.
That's what he told me. The had the rear bumper cover off and the rockers partially off. He only did the one side, so I don't think he had to take the rear bumper all the way off, but I guess he was driving it without the rear quarter so he had to take the whole bumper off. I wish I would have seen it driving around half naked.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
QCs_R4_Girls
QCs_R4_Girls is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

I just did my Ion, and from what the guys at the junkyard told me, most Saturn body panels are replaceable the same way.

You're gonna need, or at least I did:
1 flathead screwdriver (pops out plastic bolts)
1 Torx bit, size TX 25 (unscrew outer bolts)
1 Torx bit, size TX 10 (removes bolts on window trim)
1 10 mm ratchet (removes bolts holding qp in)

The bottom part of the qp will snap into a hole down by the lower door sill. Pop out 3 plastic clips and pull the qp out. Replace in reverse. Also make sure you completely take off the inner wheel well liner. You don't have to take off the wheel; the lining can just rest on the wheel. There are also 3 tabs that slide to hold the qp, and theyre a pain to get off. In fact, I cut the thinnest part of the tab cutout so I could wedge the tab out (since it's busted, I didn't care) Sounds strange, but once you get to this step, you'll understand. There's a 2-part lip on the bottom of the qp right above the wheel well and the bumper will fit right in between the 2, IIRC. Sorry if I'm rambling, here's my thread on it on the Ion: http://www.ionforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2869 Any other questions just let me know. I've replaced the rear bumper on an SL2 so between the Ion and the SL2, I think I could walk you through it.
It took about 2 hrs for me to do it.

"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph."

3 - 2006 Ion Quad Coupe 2.2L, Manual, Black
2 - 2002 SC2, Manual, Silver
1 - 1998 SL2, Manual, Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCs_R4_Girls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCs_R4_Girls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QCs_R4_Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djking51 View Post
...rear quarter panel on a '98 SC2.
Here’s a picture of the car with its trousers removed:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Yeah, from the photo, the setup is analagous to the sedan/wagon. I bet you could just remove all that wheel well stuff, and reach up with enough socket extensions and get those panel-to-bumper fasteners out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
dgrant09
dgrant09 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Here's a link for instructions for a Coupe quarter panel to fix the infamous trunk leak. It's describes removing the rear quarter panel and is about 1/2 down in the posts, should be similar for a sedan.
It was posted by f3qu3t (Thanks again f3qu3t!!)..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ght=trunk+leak

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgrant09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgrant09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
djking51
djking51 is on a distinguished road

dgrant09, thanks for the link to the instructions from f3qu3t. The pics are a big help, too. And guess what -- we just bought this car, and I was curious about some dampness in the trunk. So thanks to you guys, I'll know to seal the seam while I have the panel off.

Thanks again to all of you who shared your wisdom. It may be a few weeks before I can get to this project, but I'll let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djking51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djking51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djking51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djking51 View Post
dgrant09, thanks for the link to the instructions from f3qu3t. The pics are a big help, too. And guess what -- we just bought this car, and I was curious about some dampness in the trunk. So thanks to you guys, I'll know to seal the seam while I have the panel off.
That's usually why that panel comes off on coupes. That's what mine was in for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation