Thread: P0421 Code
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: P0421 Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicknc View Post
Well, still got a not ready code on the cat. Took it back out to drive some more and the SES light came back on-- P0421.

I guess I'll be picking up a universal sensor to do the no-fouler trick to pass this inspection.
I don't understand how the no-fouler deal will work. There's a certain amount of desired back-pressure between the cat and muffler/resonator so recessing the 02 sensor a half-inch further from exhaust gases won't buy you much.

I'll fess up and say I tried it myself a few years back on my daughters 2002 Suby Forester. The kluge job didn't work so I bought the cheapest Bosch sensor I could find and the little critter has not thrown a code in at least three years.

BTW ... I thinking in some areas ... if inspectors find owners have taken steps to defeat, or otherwise skew inspection results, there could be fines or vehicle impoundments.

The nice folks in your NC county wouldn't go that far would they?

One last thought ... I believe any emission related code is retained in history for a minimum of 40 complete warm-up cycles. I suppose any / all inspection stations have a different rule book but you might want to see if your folks want a clean history.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote