View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Changing the serpentine belt on the Ecotec

Okay I changed the serpentine belt, but it was not easy. I chose to use a Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belt, part number 4050400.

The square 3/8" hole for the tensioner is closer to the pivot point than the diagram shows us. There is little room for a 3/8" drive socket wrench. The handle on my socket wrench was not long enough to give me enough leverage so I had to use a "cheater bar" meaning a short length of hollow metal tube over the handle of my socket wrench. To access the tensioner and the areas the serpentine belt snakes around, I removed the front right wheel and the splash shield. There are two-piece plastic rivets holding the splash shield in place, like those two-piece plastic rivets we have for the splash shields in the front wheel wells of the S-Series cars. In case anybody doesn't know, we remove these two-piece plastic rivets but first removing the inner portion by prying with a screwdriver, then the outer portion easily pulls out.

Warning: After removing the front right wheel I saw a hole in the frame that leads to a 15mm bolt. Could this be for the tensioner? Yes - but not for releasing the tension on the belt. Rather it is for removing and replacing the tensioner itself. In other words, don't mess with this bolt when removing/replacing the serpentine belt!

Note to Engineers for Saturn parts: If this tensioner ever gets redesigned then please reposition the 3/8" hole for releasing tension on the belt so it is farther away from the pivot point on the tensioner, ideally closer to the position shown in the slightly incorrect diagram found in the owner's manual. This will allow us to more easily turn the tensioner when removing/replacing the serpentine belt. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote