View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: NA SOHC w/SAFC-II for increased mpg?

Originally Posted by charcoal
I suspect that the OEM programmed PCM mappings contain a safety margin to exploit because the 1.9 saturn motor seems to run lean as evidenced by the presence of excessive carbon residues in the exhaust tract regardless of engine condition or driving style.
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 1.9 motors ran rich (also, that running rich is safer than running lean-that can lead to pre-detonation, or something, I believe).
I'm just trying to help, and I'm not positive. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (but please be kind about it-even if I'm totally off my rocker).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote